driver download company help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtnbuff, Mar 11, 2009.

1. mtnbuff

mtnbuff Private E-2

I switched to XP and have had some sound/driver issues. I have almost everything taken care of but I do have aa few remaining issues. I have tried to get help here but every time someone asks me to run an everest report and post it, I never hear from anyone again.

My question is this, 1) Does anyone know of a reputable driver download program/company to get my drivers from?

2) Does anyone have experience with any of these company's (driver agent, driver detective, etc)? If so please let me know what you think.

3) Does anyone know of any forum feeds that evaluate or rate these companys?

Thanks

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I looked at an old Everest report of yours and the audio device is different than the one listed on HP for your model. I guess you tried the Vista one listed on HP for your model dv6704nr and it didn't work.

From your Everest report Audio Device "HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5051&SUBSYS_103C30CF&REV_1000". I found a thread here that describes a downgrade from Vista to XP on a laptop with the same audio device. It links here that gives a link to this driver which says it is XP compatible. Although the same file from HP does not list XP as a supported OS.

The poster on the original thread had success with the driver on XP as he marked it as found so it may be worth a try. I would make a restore point then try installing the driver to see if you have any success.

Good Luck :)

3. mtnbuff

mtnbuff Private E-2

Thanks Sach tried that I have tried every approach to getting sound back. In my device manager I have a conexant high definition smart audio 221 and within that my sound mixers are enabled but when I try to use something w/sound it says there are no mixer devices detected and to add them through add hardware.

I don't have sound with my speakers or headphones.

Has anyone had this issue and solved it?

4. sach2

Have you tried the drivers in this thread? Which links here for instructions [you just need the audio part]. The mediafire link in the comments by Cheryl G. is up and working.

To point to the .inf file

5. mtnbuff

mtnbuff Private E-2

sach2,

YOU ARE THE MAN! That did it! Thanks so much!

6. sach2

Glad you got it working!

Finding drivers for an unsupported OS is pretty much trial and error and a little luck. As you already know after searching. I would suggest getting all your downloaded drivers together in a folder and burning the files to a data CD. Well worth the 50 cents if you have to reformat unexpectedly in the future.

This thread I linked to in the last post looks like a pretty good resource for the files if you don't have them together. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds