Driver installation order

Discussion in 'Software' started by there_can_be_only_one, Oct 21, 2005.

1. there_can_be_only_one

there_can_be_only_one Private E-2

Hey,

I am about to reinstall win2k, and was hoping that you could illuminate me as to the "best" order in which to install mobo/chipset, graphics, usb, printer drivers etc.

Also, am I correct in assuming that it is best to install all windows updates prior to installing any hardware drivers?

Since I last rebuilt, my system has been a bit unstable (relatively common bsod or ctd's when playing bf142), which I suspect may be due to dodgy driver installs.... from memory I may not have removed existing drivers when updating my gfx driver.

System specs:

mobo - gigabyte 7n400l
    gfx - gigabyte 9600xt 256MB
    realtek onboard sound

Thanks for any help... great site btw.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I personally go with that order you have above chipset, graphics etc

as to windows updates, I would do those updates right after the chipset & graphics drivers, those are the two main ones the others can wait a bit until you have all security and os updates.

I generally download all the relevent drivers, security programs and updates ( the service packs can be downloaded in full, rather than the live install ) before re-install as it saves going on the net with an unpatched PC.

full SP4 for 2k
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...f1-749f-49f4-8010-297bd6ca33a0&displaylang=en

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds