Driver Robot ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by akm, Sep 20, 2009.

1. akm

akm Sergeant

Tried to find comments about (pay for update) 'Driver Robot', but dont seem to be any posts.
    Are there any other (free) programs that will do similar... ie scan PC for driver updates needed for printers etc ?
    Or, is DR the best available ?

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I don't bother with driver updates for the most part unless there is something in the change logs to improve an aspect of my machine. Newer is not always better. Oh, I sure as heck wouldn't pay for one.

3. akm

akm Sergeant

Thanks for the reply !
    Not very PC savvy, what 'change logs' are you referring to, and how do you use them ?

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

These driver updaters dont always give you the correct driver, say fo rinstance in my case I fan one on a very new motherboard I have which has no new drivers and oen driver updater said I had 5 that needed updating, if I did at least one of then it would have rendered my audio dead! was wrong driver.

What Augie is refering too and jumping in here is that drivers dont really update alot and the change log, which is a list of whats new in the driver in reguards to update or fixes needed to really be something that you're experiencing as in a fault that this driver fixes.

Main drivers that update and maybe worth udpating are Grpahics and Network, all others if your PC is working ok DONT TOUCH, as old addage is if not broken dont fix... is a great IT term.

If you need to check on drivers, goto the maker of your hardware and see if they have an updated driver, as they are the only ones guaranteed to work ok, if they dont have a newer driver listed then there is not one available dispite what these driver updater apps say.

Driver updater apps cause more issues than enough with PCs especially users that use these and update Audio drivers, as these drivers are so varied by maker that just installing any old realtek driver listed as an update may not work as OEMs, like HP, Dell etc custom spec the audio chips from realtek that the generic driver that these apps list as new can cause you to loose audio and it being a PITA to fix.

Just my thoughts on driver updater apps, never use them and have not udpated any drivers on my current PC apart from Nvidia Graphic driver in the last 4 months as its a new mobo and system, dont see me updating many in the future also, maybe graphic and network only.

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, video drivers are the ones I change the most too, maybe 3 times a year at most as there are improvements that boost productivity, in my case it's folding@home, so when the pundits say get these drivers as you will get %5 more, it's a big thing. As to the other drivers, I haven't updated a single thing on my one year old quad and only chipset and BIOS on my 4 year old AMD system when I changed the CPU from a single core to a dual core. Only change when needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds