Driver utpdate utility tool /safe software review site

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fahlar, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Fahlar

Fahlar Private E-2

Hi! First time I'm posting on this forum, and I do hope i post in the correct part of the forum. If not, I am sorry.

I have two questions. Sort of. i have searched around on your forum, but the only thread that I found about this was written in 2010. And I can't really see if the posts under "Driver Tools" are just random programs, or programs that MajorGeeks actually support (meaning you have tested them somehow or find them trustworthy).

I am getting blue screened with a message about "Driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" and something more. Unfortunately it disappear very fast, so I haven't been able to write down the rest of it. I googled it, and it appeared that the reason may be faulty RAM. I thought that I should update the drivers, but I cannot find them. So, after a while I was getting tired of the whole search and fail-process and thought that it would be nice to have that process automated with a driver utility tool. I searched around a bit, but I only found a wealth of rogue-programs, scam-review sites and so on.
    - Are there any such programs that your site recommend?
    - And are there any websites out there that review such programs that are trustworthy?
    (- Any idea where i can find the newest driver for my RAM so i can install it manually?)

On a sidenote, any idea what i can do to get rid of the blue screen?

My computer:
    - Asus P9X79 DELUXE
    - 16GB – Corsair Dominator 2133hz (CMT16GX3M4X2133C9)
    - i7-3930K
    - Samsung 830 128GB
    - Nvidia GTX780 Hydro Copper

I run Windows 8.1

The videocard is updated.

Thanks!

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Firstly, there are no "drivers" for RAM. You simply insert the module(s) into it's/their slot(s) and restart the computer. MemTest 86+ is what a majority of posters here at MGs use to test their RAM modules. Let it run for at least 7 passes.

IOBit Driver Booster is the only driver updating software endorsed by Major Attitude, co-owner of Major Geeks.

3. Fahlar

Fahlar Private E-2

That's what i thought too, but i found a lot of replies on threads where the TS had the same problem as me that said "update drivers for RAM". But this answer is more useful as I now can safely abandon my search for those drivers:)

4. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Google for disable restart after windows failure - you will find how to keep the blue screen until you have written down everything.

Regarding driver utilities; I have been using DriverMax since version 1, and I have always been very satisfied with it. The free version will let you download 2 drivers per day.

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Been with DriverMax for about 5 years, and I have noticed remarkable improvement over the last 2 years with the quality of the drivers. They have a survey system that asks if the update went well, and I think that's helping with the recommendations. The biggest key I guess is that you can see if specific recommended drivers are digitally signed.

I think if I were in your shoes, I would try DriverMax or Iobit and start with the chipset and video drivers. Maybe that will resolve your problem...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds