Drivermax - BEWARE

Discussion in 'Software' started by parispete, Apr 14, 2009.

1. parispete

parispete Private E-2

On two occasions - last month and just today, I decided to update my Dell GX260 drivers with Drivermax. I like this program, although it struggles to be intuitive. Which is to say that instead of an easy one to ten walkthrough, you have a bunch of things to do that you simply have to educate yourlself on sequencing.
    That said, the program works pretty well - EXCEPT - that they throw in the odd rogue driver (unsigned by Intel, even though its for an MS function) that screws everything up. I checked with the Dell update page after my first misadventure with Drivermax and the download that stuffed my mouse cursor wasn't listed there. Hmmm. Nevertheless, optimist that I am, I had another go at Drivermax today and bingo ... history repeated itself. This time it was the cursor again, not disappeared this time, but paralysed. Luckily I was able to escape by fitting my MS USB mouse with a PS2 adaptor and - it worked !! Hooray. But the everpresent danger is for all these automatic upgraders is that they try overcuteness in giving you what even the manufacturer can't, with a result like mine.
    My question however relates not to what happened, but what could have. In other words, how would I have been able to negotiate around my screen without a working mouse? Is there some way of patching the keyboard or mouse from another PC into one that has a nonfunctioning mouse?
    I'm avoiding driver replacement like the plague for the moment, but this sort of thing is bound to happen again, so please somebody smarter than I am suggest a way out.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  2. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

Always get drivers from manufacturer's site, or a trusted site. And always make sure it matches up. In some cases where the original drivers get screwed up you can use third-party drivers but don't use one unless you absolutely know its safe.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

This is one of the reasons and like Aimee mentions above is why I dont suggest using these driver updater applications, they can never cover all the bases of every OEM PC, as many OEMs use custom hardware that needs a specific driver only the original OEM as in DELL will offer, they see a hardware name and offer you the best fit, but in many cases this is not the correct driver.

Some general unified drivers work ok in some cases but if your PC is working fine, then in most cases their is no need to update the driver, and only ones if any to update are if your have an addon GFX card and in this instance the unified driver from ATi or Nvidia work ok (if laptop which I know yours is not, then even updating the GFX drivers if not from the likes of Dell for that specific PC can cause issues).

Only way to not have issues is if you get drivers from DELL for your PC here http://support.dell.com/support/dow...=PLX_PNT_P4_GX260&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid= but as this is old model PC, Dell after some years have not udpated any so likely you are at a point in which their likely wont be any matching driver updates for your PC for many of the hardware components.

Old PC saying is dont fix whats not broken.

4. parispete

parispete Private E-2

Yeah, thanks, Halo, it's been an interesting exercise that could have been catastrophic. I'll certainly stick to Dell's downloads in future. I totally agree with you that usually old drivers work just as well as the newer ones and what is running okay shouldn't be tampered with. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds