Drivers enabled but not started...what?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Killraki, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Killraki

Killraki Private E-2

I'm getting this message when I click properties for my sound card. The driver is the correct driver and everything in the Device Manager looks fine. Now if I go into Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices it says "No Audio Device", everything in the tabs is greyed out. But in the Device Manager, I see that the driver is there. A lot of people have been having this problem, as I have been searching over the internet. I know this is an XP problem because I did it with several sound cards and they all had the same problem. For some reason "the drivers are enabled but not started". I have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I've tried to do things I saw others do but they never worked.

I looked at Administrative Tools and Windows Audio is turned on. The default sound has been turned off in BIOS. I've searched google with "drivers enabled but not started" and tried everything others did. Still nothing. I've been working on this thing for over 2 weeks and I haven't come any closer to getting sound back.

Here is a link to where I first asked for help. It may give someone a clue as to why this happened.
    http://4honor.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14224

I'm off to bed so I'll check on this in the morning.

2. Killraki

Killraki Private E-2

Here are my computer specs.

Operating System: Mircosoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600)
    System Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 646MB used, 1044MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

Hope this can help.

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Maybe the windows audio service is not set to automatic?
    Control panel>services>windows audio>properties automatic

4. Anon-068c403e2d

Ignore my post.

5. Killraki

Killraki Private E-2

Yeah, my Windows Audio is set to automatic. I've looked at it before and I have not tampered with it. Just checked to see if it was started.

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Try going into device manager and removing all devices under "Sound, video, game controllers". Then reboot the machine.

Once the machine has reboot, if the computer is confused where the drivers are, insert your audio driver disc (disk) and direct it there.

I've seen situations in the past where audio does not work, but removing them from device manager fixes these situations....odd yes....explainable...not yet. :)

7. Killraki

Killraki Private E-2

Remove ALL devices or all sound devices. Here's a list of whats in it:

Audio Codecs
    Creative Game Port (I've removed this and re-installed it before.)
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM) (I've removed this and re-installed it before.)
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Capture Devices
    Media Control Devices
    Video Codecs

I never removed the Legacy drivers since I was told not to and they didn't effect it. If they are then please tell me but before they never caused a problem.

8. Killraki

Killraki Private E-2

Ok, I've uninstalled the drivers and I have re-installed them. Nothing has changed.

9. Anon-068c403e2d

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444
    Have you checked if Plug and Play Software Enumerator is listed in device manager under system device?

10. Killraki

Killraki Private E-2

Yes. Thats the first thing Creative told me.

11. Anon-068c403e2d

Any recent changes you made to your system?

12. Killraki

Killraki Private E-2

No. Did you read my link I have posted on my first post? It has almost everything in it.

13. soulsufer

soulsufer Private E-2

Hi i have the same problem and im running two soundcards which were working fine, now, like you the device selection is greyed out. i know its not a hardware problem as they both work if im using an audio program that allows you to select audio output, but not with programs that need windows to do that for them...
    ive been looking for solution for nearly a week and still nuthing. may have to reinstall windows??!

14. Killraki

Killraki Private E-2

From what I was able to tell, there is an error within Windows itself. Probably somewhere in System32. Once I can find my XP disk, I'll re-install my hard drive. I've given up since no one has a clue how to fix it.

And I tried to repair files with a friends XP disk and it still didn't work. So hope you get it fixed soon.

15. dwd

dwd Private E-2

I have Windows Xp Pro, Sound Blaster Live 24 bit and i reinstalled swenum.inf and swenum.sys. Still I sit with no sound.I have just the one sound card. I have this same Drivers enabled but no sound situation in my audio properties.
    I am going to delete all my sound options in device manager and reboot to see what happens. I hope someone will create a fix for this soon.

16. dwd

dwd Private E-2

The only change I had was that i installed reason 3.0. I was able to listen to the demos for a little while. I had to leave so i shut off the computer. When i turned it back on i had no sound.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds