Dropped Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mweeks, Nov 28, 2005.

1. mweeks

mweeks Private E-2

I dropped an external 3.5" hard drive. I can't get it to respond now, I have tried pulling it apart and dropping it into a PC directly to see if the usb interface was the problem. No Luck........Anyway to retrieve my data from it? Or am I out of luck.

2. Futura

Futura Private E-2

I did the same the other week only it was my mates disk, Sadly the disk had to be buried in the garden along with his movie and music collection. :rolleyes:

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

if you cannot read the disk by directly inserting it in the computer...then either you are out of luck, or you can pay the big bucks and send it in to one of those companies that actually dismantle the whole drive and retrieve the disk out of it in order to retrieve you information!!!!

When you put it directly into the computer...are you 100% knowledgable of this procedure?? (I'm trying not to undermine your intelligence here!!!) Or is there the possibilty that you could've missed something?? Jumper settings or somwthing to that effect!!??

Roger

4. mweeks

mweeks Private E-2

I am not going to say I am 100% knowledgable, but I know enough to be dangerous. When I connect it with hte usb, I get an error that my computer is unable to start the device. I dismantled the portabel enclosure took out the drive and installe dit in my pc. I changed the jumpers to slave and hooked it up. my pc dosent seem to even acknowledge its there.

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Well...is your system very old (more than 2-3 years)??

Another option you can try...put all hard drive jumpers on CS (cable select), then put the drive you want to boot to on the END connector of the IDE cable, and put the troublesome drive on the next closest connector, and the last connector, farthest away by itself, goes to the mobo, and ofcourse, make sure the power is connected to both drives!! Now the computer itself will find the drives and establish which ones are master and slave, and if it recognizes it...you will see the drive in "My Computer" within windows!! Be patient though...sometimes it take awhile to install this new foreign drive that it has hopefully detected!! So when you boot up...just let it be for a good 5-10 minutes!!!

If that doesn't do it...you are out of luck!! Unless you want to pay the BIG BUCKS, and send the drive away to a company that does this as your last resort!!!

Roger

6. mweeks

mweeks Private E-2

thanks for the idea. It was going so slow when searching for the slave I thought I might have a chance, but no luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds