Drowning in Norton virus definition files!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hungry Guy, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Hungry Guy

Hungry Guy Private E-2

I've been noticing that my 40 Gb C: drive keeps getting filled up. I periodically go through and delete stuff, but then it only gets filled up again. I recently had to get an external drive and offload everything to that and have only OS stuff on my C: drive. And then it got filled up again! I finally figured out what's going on. Symantec Norton AV has a folder:

C:\Documents And Settings
    + Program Files
    + Common Files
    + Symantec Shared
    + VirusDefs

In VirusDefs, there's over 20 Gb of virus definition files named, for example, tmp2ba4.tmp! After backing them all up, I tried to delete one from way back in 2006, and I got an Access Denied message even though I'm logged on with an Administrator signon. I'm using Windoze XP Home Edition 2002 with SP3.

Do I really need 20 Gb of virus definition files?

And how do I delete them?

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I once used Norton but have not used it for about two years now. But, clearly, something is not working right with your Norton anti-virus; I'm sure you don't don't need 20 Gb of virus definition files; even 20MB should be more than enough space for them, I believe. But, not being familiar with the latest version of Norton, I don't want to try to give advise on using it.

Have you considered other anti-virus programs? For personal use, some very good free ones are available. Or, if for business use, I believe all the same companies sell commercial versions of their software. I'll mention several that are frequently recommended, and used, by forum members: AVG, Avast, and Avira. To download any of these or numerous others, go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  3. Michael York

Michael York Norton Authorized Support Team

Hi Hungry Guy,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

First, I will tell you that virus definition files should not take up that much space.

If you have not already done so, clear all temporary and temporary internet files from your computer. Next, manually run LiveUpdate to make sure you have the latest updates applied. When this is complete, restart your computer in Windows Safe Mode, launch Norton AntiVirus and then complete a "Full System Scan" to check for infections. Let me know if any infections were found and if Norton was able to remove them.

What version of Norton AntiVirus are you using? Are you certain that your subscription has not expired?

Please follow the instructions I posted and let me know the answers to those questions so I can then get a better understanding and assist you further.

Thank you,
    Mike

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  4. Hungry Guy

Hungry Guy Private E-2

Hi Michael,

Okay. I did what you said. I started Windoze in Safe Mode and deleted all the temp files. I now have my C: drive back (21 Gb used, 25 Gb free). Whoohoo!

I ran Live Update, and it installed some stuff (and I noticed that it put a couple more .TMP files back--grrr).

I ran a full system scan, and I came up clean. BUT it told me that my virus definitions are out of date, and the Norton in the program tray shows a yellow warning.

I've run Live Update a dozen times, and it keeps telling me that my virus definitions are out of date, and the Norton icon is still yellow.

I'm using NAV 2006. Yes, I was given an opportunity to upgrade to NAV 2009 a few weeks ago. But when I installed NAV 2009, it told me that it was incompatible with Norton Firewall 2006, and reverted back down to NAV 2006.

5. Michael York

Hi Hungry Guy,

Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know the specifics of your version and the issues you are having.

Norton AntiVirus 2006 is out-dated and uses different technologies for updating and for protecting your computer from threats. It sounds like you have a corrupted installation which most likely caused the initial problem.

Norton AntiVirus 2009 contains many new threat detection and removal technologies, along with a new update feature that is Automatic and runs in the background called "Pulse Updates." The 2009 version is also very light on system resource usage.

Please follow these instructions to properly remove Norton AntiVirus 2006 and install Norton AntiVirus 2009.

Make note of your current Activation Key which you will use to activate NAV09.

1. Run Windows Update to make sure you have all of the Microsoft patches applied to Windows. You may need to run it more than once until it informs you that there are no more critical updates available.

2. Using the Add/Remove Control Panel, try to remove Norton AntiVirus 2006, restart, and then go back to Add/Remove and remove the LiveUpdate feature and restart again.

3. Click on the following link to download the Norton Removal Tool:

Norton Removal Tool and Instructions

4. After you run the tool, please restart your computer. Then log in to Windows again and run the removal tool again. Restart your computer after it is finished running the second time as well.

5. Using Internet Explorer, click on the following link to visit the Norton Update Center. Select Norton AntiVirus and then 2006 from the pull-down menu's. Then click the "Continue" button. Finally, choose the "Download" button.

Norton Update Center

6. When the installation is complete, launch Norton AntiVirus 2009 and choose "Run LiveUpdate" to get the latest updates applied. Once you do this step, the "Pulse Update" feature will take effect and as long as your computer is On and connected to the Internet, it will check for and install updates in the background approximately every 5-15 minutes.

7. Lastly, perform a "Full System Scan" with Norton AntiVirus 2009.

Let me know if you are successful in uninstalling and updating and if you run in to any problems.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. Hungry Guy

Hungry Guy Private E-2

Hi Michael,

Okay, I got as far as going to the Symantec download page and clicking on the orange DOWNLOAD button. When I click on the DOWNLOAD button, the IE icon spins for a second, but nothing happens even after waiting several minutes. I tried to right click on the DOWNLOAD button to Save Target As, and I get No Such Interface Supported.

7. Michael York

Hi Hungry Guy,

If you have not already tried, use the IE 7 "Clear Private Data" feature and remove everything to see if that fixes the issue. If you still have the same problem, try going to Tools->Options and then choose "Reset all zones to default level" under the "Security" tab.

You may also try Firefox to download the installer, but you may receive a script error, which you can just click "OK" to dismiss and the installer should download.

Thanks,
    Mike

8. pete99

pete99 Private E-2

I had a similar problem (XP Pro Service Pack 3).

Norton Anti-Virus 2006 was creating temp files under:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs

They needed to be deleted, which after I did, cleared up about
    13 GB's of space on my C drive.

I was unable to delete until I went to
    OPTIONS,
    Norton AntiVirus\Miscellaneous. At the bottom go to
    How to protect my product, and uncheck box for
    Turn protection on for my Symantec product, and hit OK.

Then I was able to delete all files ending with .tmp.

Don't forget to check box for
    Turn protection back on for my Symantec product, and hit OK.

Run Live update and make sure it still works properly.

I'm not sure why but I guess this needs to be done every once in a while to free up space on your Hard Drive.

Good Luck

9. Hungry Guy

Hungry Guy Private E-2

Hi Michael,

Yay! It worked. I turned off Protect My Product. Then I downloaded Firefox. Then I downloaded your Nortan Removal Tool and ran it. It also removed my Norton Firewall, which I wanted to keep, but oh well. I rebooted and ran it several times, and my PC was 100% Norton-free. Doing all that stuff is what took me so long to get back to you here...

I then reinstalled my Norton firewall. Then I ran the install for NAV 2009. Again, it told me that it's incompatible with Norton Firewall 2006. Grrr. Any solutions? Or do I need to use two different brands for my firewall and my AV?

Hey, at least my PC is blazingly fast right now without an AV running in the background :-d

Thanks to you , too, pete99!

10. Michael York

Hi Hungry Guy,

As per the instructions that are posted with the Norton Removal Tool, it will indeed remove all Norton products on your system.

As I had stated in my earlier posting, your best bet is to utilize the update to Norton AntiVirus 2009 which you are entitled to if your subscription is still active.

All Norton 2009 products are much lighter on system resource usage, install in approximately 1 minute, and contain many new and enhanced features over previous versions.

Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360 2 contain a full-featured firewall and other features you may find useful. If you re-installed the firewall from Norton AntiVirus 2006 it is not compatible with Norton AntiVirus 2009, hence the error message you received. The solution to this would be to purchase a key for Norton Internet Security 2009 or Norton 360.

Below is the chart that describes the differences in features between the various Norton products. Norton Internet Security 2009 contains many more features than Norton AntiVirus, including the full-featured firewall.

Norton 2009 Product Comparison

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you,
    Mike

11. Hungry Guy

Hungry Guy Private E-2

Hi Mike,

That's good to know about the latest versions. I understand what you're saying. But may I ask something...

I purchased Norton AntiVirus 2006 and Norton Personal Firewall 2006 at the same time, and have subscribed to updates for both products continuously up to the present.

Why am I entitled to a free upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2009, but not for Norton Firewall 2009 (or its equivalent)?

12. Michael York

Hi Hungry Guy,

The upgrade to Norton AntiVirus 2009 is available to you, as long as your subscription is still active. It provides you with the 2009 version of Norton AntiVirus, however it does not extend the days on your current subscription.

In regards to Norton Personal Firewall, that stand-alone product was discontinued and is now called the Norton Personal Firewall, which is included with Norton Internet Security 2009 and Norton 360 2.0.

As my role is to provide technical support only, I think the best way for you to find out if there are any other upgrade options available for you, would be for you to contact the Norton Customer Support department via the link below.

Norton Customer Support

Thanks,
    Mike

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  13. Ronjon101

Ronjon101 Private E-2

Micheal, are you still around? I have a question if you come back and have time to answer. I am running Norton 360 3.0 with Windows XP Media. Can you tell me what the file name is for the virus definitions and where to find them in the Norton program?
    Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds