Drunk keyboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bg9208, Jun 17, 2013.

1. bg9208

bg9208 Private First Class

OK I know it was stupid knocking a glass of wine (Merlot) over the keyboard of my desktop, glad I wasn'r using the laptop.
    After unplugging KB and trying to get stain out of carpet, I attached a spare KB and it wont work, same with a USB keyboard. Other than not accepting typing all other functions work as well as always.
    Any idea what is causing this problem and any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

TIA

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Did you power down the computer before hooking up the new keyboard? If you did, and the new keyboard is not working, most likely you fried the USB interface.

3. bg9208

Thankyou Browniz for prompt reply,, Yes I did powerdown and restart with new KB, in both USB and KB port connections. I did check USB ports and they are still working.
    Have jusr tried spare KBs on my second desktop and they do work.

4. bg9208

Just checked and no keyboard appears on Device Manager

5. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Then you hosed the USB circuit, when you spilt the one on the old one, while the computer was on, which caused a short.

6. bg9208

So I suppose this means that the KB port is toast?
    Since the USB ports are working, why when does the PC bolt recognise the KB.
    Since the PC functions in all other respects, is there any way that either of my working KBs can be be made to recognise it.
    Seems a shame to rubbish an otherwise perfect motherboard?

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

The computer expects a PS/2 keyboard, not USB if that's what it was set up for.

You need to have a look around your BIOS.

8. bg9208

Thanks for suggestion however since a working KB (Borrowed from wife's PC) KB does not work in PS2 or USB socket, I am unable to press F2 key to activate BIOS. Unless there is a another way of entering BIOS which is not keyboard reliant.

9. plodr

No, a working keyboard is needed to enter the BIOS if it is setup for only PS/2 keyboard.

If you can't get a keyboard to work, I read there is a fuse. Open up the case and see if there is a fuse.

10. plodr

Plug a keyboard into the mouse port and see if you can get into the BIOS that way.

11. bg9208

Tried removing and replacing battery to reset Bios.
    Looked at my MB manual and no sign of any fuse.
    Bios setup in manual gives no options or mention of KB setuo
    Suppose now must consider BB as toast - Salutary lesson learned

Thanks everyone

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds