dsl and networking question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by barnburner, Jul 7, 2004.

1. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

I will be getting dsl in a week or so, and I have run into an interesting problem.
    To this point, I have had my 2 computers networked using 2 3com, phoneline network cards designed to connect the computer thru the phone jacks. Since first installing them, I have moved the second computer (win98se) into the same room with the host computer (win xp home), so I no longer use the phone jacks, and just run a phone line between the two for the network. These use rj11 connecters, so I know they won't work with the dsl modem.
    Obviously, I have to install a network card for the dsl modem.
    What I am wondering is can I leave the old network cards in place and still use them to make the network and ics between the two computers, or will I have to add new ethernet cards with rj45 connectors? All I need is a simple connection between the two computers, so I don't need a router or hub.

Thanks

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

What you are considering is indeed possible-- I've done it, although the phoneline cards were eventually replaced by a wireless router and wireless cards. Hopefully, your phoneline cards are the 10Mb versions, so you can enjoy the DSL fully on both machines.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

You will have to use PPPOE software and NAT software. You will save only few $$, you would have Quirky Slow Network with repeated Grief, and not well protected.

DSL is better off with a Router even if you have a single computer.

Why? DSL Routers and PPPOE.

P.S. If you shop well. Network cards go for $5, Wired Router $15, and cables for $5.

:cool:

4. barnburner

barnburner Private First Class

Thanks to both of you for the good info.
    I will probably try it with the 10mbps phone cards to begin with, and move upwards as I find good buys on the equipment needed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds