DSL modem, rent or buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robert707, Oct 1, 2005.

1. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Hi i'm upgrading to DSL from 56k, finally!!! The sign up sight of my ISP says that i should rent a DSL modem from them, they says its because the DSL technology changes so often it makes more sense to rent. The fee $5.00 a month on top of the $34.00 DSL service, not including tax, of course. They also say i can BUY a DSL modem from them for $100 canadian ( $85.00U.S). Are they totally scamming me?

Couldn't I buy a DSL modem and keep it for years? Or will it be obsolete in three months?

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Buy, modems do geting older but i have had a speedstream 5660 modem for ages now.

3. earlthemailman

earlthemailman Corporal

yeah, if you stick with the rent you can always get tech support. if something goes wrong they will replace it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds