Dual boot Win98 and Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by Allochthonous, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

I have a blank, 20 GB FAT32 formatted HD that i want to make a dual boot Win98SE /Linux box. Is it better to install Windows into the whole 20 GB partition, then let the Linux installer take care of the repartioning (if available in the installation package) or should i go ahead and repartition now, then install Win98 on one partition and Linux on the other? I am probably going to go with either Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS. (I am a Linux newbie)

Can you recommend any FREE partitioning tools that are easy to use?

PK

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

No, just use windows to setup half the free space avaible then tell linux to use the unformated space.

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

You can use QtParted from the Knoppix 'Live CD' to manipulate your partitions.

3 options.
    1. Let the Linux Installer handle resizing the partions, and configuring for Dual Boot.
    2. Resize your DOS partiton, and create an Empry Partiton for Linux. Should be at Least 10Gb in size. Install Linux on the second partiton.
    3. Wipe everthing, partiton the drive, install WIN 98 on the first partition, then install Linux on the second partition.

In all cases the Linux Boot Manager should properly handle configuring your system for dual boot.

4. Allochthonous

Allochthonous Corporal

While messing around last night, I discovered that Ubuntu has a utility like that, too. It may even be the same one. It looked pretty stinkin easy to use. I was tempted to do it through there, but didn't know if that would work. You think that would be the best way to do it? Use one of those Live CD's that have that utility to partition into two 10GB chunks, say C: and E: or whatever, then install Windows on the first chunk (C:), get it all going and updated, then install whichever Linux flavor on the other chunk? Yeah, then let the Linux installer setup the bootloader thingy.

Will the Linux installation give me the choice of which partition to install into?

PK

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Depends on the distro, but most do give you that option. I personally have found suse linux, found at opensuse.org vry simple to setup duel boot with windows, and a good choice for beginners. Suse is very easy to setup duel boot with windows.

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Windows 98 must be installed on the Boot Partition on the drive, otherwise it won't load.

What ever method you decided. Windows 98 has to be on the first partiton, the second partiton can be fat 32 or empty the Linux installer will see it and install the OS to the second partiton.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds