Dual Boot: WinXP Pro & WinXP Home, 2 Disks

Discussion in 'Software' started by mjgardne, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mjgardne

mjgardne Private E-2

Hello,

I have a computer with hardware RAID and 2 SATA drives and WinXP Pro. It is working great. What I want to do is install WinXP Home on a separate drive, which is an IDE one. The idea is that the RAID drive(s) are used for my important office work, and the separate IDE drive is used for development work. I want to keep the two worlds separate, but having the drives visible to each other would be nice. Anyway, WinXP Pro was originally installed and then I booted up from the WinXP Home disk and installed it to the separate hard drive. No errors, all as expected, except... When I rebooted the system, the boot.ini file was not updated to give me access to the WinXP Home environment on the IDE drive. I've tried manually tweaking the boot.ini file, but to no avail. By adding a new OS line, the boot menu appears but I haven't been able to successfully boot the WinXP Home edition. I get a message saying that there is a problem in the configuration of the boot line. I know that there is an order for installing the oldest Win OS first, but does that apply within the same family (winxp home before winxp pro)? Help! :) Here is my original boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I've tried adding a line after the last one in this file to give me the option to boot the WinXP Home OS by changing the disk() parameter to 1, 2, or 3 since I am unsure as to which number it would be. Oh, WinXP Home is installed in the usual Windows directory.

Drive C: 160GB SATA RAID (harware) source (WinXP Pro) -- NTFS
    160GB RAID mirror -- NTFS
    Drive D: 120GB IDE drive (WinXP Home) -- NTFS
    Drive E: 60GB spare

Here is what System Information reported about my disk drives:

-------------------
    SPARE DRIVE (Drive E)
    Description Disk drive
    Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
    Model MAXTOR 6L060J3
    Bytes/Sector 512
    Media Loaded Yes
    Media Type Fixed hard disk media
    Partitions 1
    SCSI Bus 0
    SCSI Logical Unit 0
    SCSI Port 1
    SCSI Target ID 2
    Sectors/Track 63
    Size 55.91 GB (60,036,318,720 bytes)
    Total Cylinders 7,299
    Total Sectors 117,258,435
    Total Tracks 1,861,245
    Tracks/Cylinder 255
    Partition Disk #0, Partition #0
    Partition Size 55.91 GB (60,028,061,184 bytes)
    Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes

WINXP HOME DRIVE (DRIVE D)
    Description Disk drive
    Model Maxtor 6Y120L0
    Bytes/Sector 512
    Media Loaded Yes
    Partitions 1
    SCSI Bus 0
    SCSI Logical Unit 0
    SCSI Port 1
    SCSI Target ID 3
    Sectors/Track 63
    Size 114.49 GB (122,935,034,880 bytes)
    Total Cylinders 14,946
    Total Sectors 240,107,490
    Total Tracks 3,811,230
    Tracks/Cylinder 255
    Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
    Partition Size 114.49 GB (122,935,002,624 bytes)

WINXP PRO DRIVE (DRIVE C, BOOTABLE)
    Description Disk drive
    Model NVIDIA MIRROR 149.04G
    Bytes/Sector 512
    Media Loaded Yes
    Partitions 1
    SCSI Bus 0
    SCSI Logical Unit 0
    SCSI Port 0
    SCSI Target ID 1
    Sectors/Track 63
    Size 149.05 GB (160,039,272,960 bytes)
    Total Cylinders 19,457
    Total Sectors 312,576,705
    Total Tracks 4,961,535
    Tracks/Cylinder 255
    Partition Disk #2, Partition #0
    Partition Size 144.16 GB (154,791,512,064 bytes)
    -------------------

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Try this for your boot.ini

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

4. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

5. mjgardne

mjgardne Private E-2

Hi Everyone,

I tried the following:

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect[/QUOTE]

but it didn't work... Same message as in my original note. Thanks for the suggestion, Shadow_Puter_Dude.

I found that when I installed WinXP Home, it created a boot.ini on the nonbooting drive. It's entry is as follows:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)

So, I am going to give it a try. Tonight, I'll start digging through the links that kadavill has suggested. Thanks for all the ideas, gang.

Mike

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Try this for boot.ini

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

and if that one doen't work try

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

7. mjgardne

mjgardne Private E-2

Hi Shadow_Puter_Dude,

I used the following configuration...

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS=""Microsoft Windows XP Home"" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

The good news is that I believe we found the WinXP Home installation disk! The bad news is that I get a new error... hal.dll is missing or corrupted and the OS cannot start. Yikes!!! That's a new one! I scanned the net and found that this could be due to a misconfigured boot.ini file, among other things. There seem to be a lot of "remedies", but none seemed to stand out as a solid choice. I am playing with reinstalling WinXP Home again, but I don't believe that this will really do any good since I didn't receive any errors the first time. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Well at least we are headed in the right direction. I have encountered that error once before and it was definitely the boot.ini configuration.

Since the boot.ini on the non-booting drive says it is partion 3 lets try this.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds