Dual Booting PROBLEM. Susi and Windows.

Discussion in 'Software' started by steve_f, Sep 22, 2005.

1. steve_f

steve_f Private E-2

Ok so i have 2 hdds on my other comp and 1 has Susi and 1 has 98 (my old comp)

Anyway, it had a menu (GRUB) to choose which one i want to boot to whenever i turn my computer on.

Well i took out the other hard drive cause it was only a 20 gig, and put in a new one (80 gig)

But now when i turn the computer on, i get a black screen that sayd GRUB in the corner. It stops here and wont go any further. This is because it is trying to pull up the menu on what to boot to, but i took out the HD with susi on it, so it wont go any further then the black screen. I had this problem before and i asked and someone told me how to fix it. Something along the lines of putting in the install disk and typing something in on the command line.

I forget what it is, and if someone could help i would apreciate it.

2. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

Evidently GRUB loader just doesn't run. It may happen due to HDDs get mixed up with master/slave. You need to load Suse anyway from floppy disk for example and rewrite GRUB or Lilo (more smart) again.
    To run suse use suse installation floppy - it has own loader.
    When it offers to install - press ALT-CTRL-Fx, where x =1,2,3,4,5,6 (one of them), find free consol and then make a trick:)
    Write mount "your_drive_from root" /
    (I'd write: mount /dev/hda8 /)
    Thus you'll be with already loaded core and with your root. Then you can install desired loader by yourself.

3. steve_f

steve_f Private E-2

But i dont want susi anymore. I just want it gone and just windows to be on there. And i want to get rid of the susi drive. But when i remove it, i can no longer boot windows. it gets to where GRUB would usualy load, and just stops.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds