Dual-Booting Win7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spock96, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

Hey Guys,
    I got a Computer with a 120gb HD and I'm gonna install Vista as my main OS(when I get the time) and I'd like to dual boot Win7 pro. How would I go about doing that?
    Thanks,
    Spock96

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Easy since Vista will be first in. Just partition the drive first and giving W7 some 20GB or more and install it there. A menu will be automatically created by Windows where you can then choose which flavour you want. Welcome to the multi-boot world.

3. Spock96

So when I go to install Vista and it asks to partition the drive just set 20GB aside?
    Before I had this rig died on me the first time( my fault:-o) I had Ubuntu installed along side Win XP. Oh my new rig is designed for XP and is Vista compatible..could I still run Win7 on it?(I wouldn't be using it very much..just to see the settings and to solve others problems with it...I wouldn't be using it heavy probably).

4. augiedoggie

Basically format the drive and set the Vista say to 90GB, just to be safe and install W7 to the second partition. That's it, very straight forward. I just hope it will run Vista like it says.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  5. Spock96

Thank you. It might be a week or so till I get Win7 on the second partition.

6. augiedoggie

I just edited my last post, if it runs Vista then it should run W7 easily. Some of these Vista 'compatible' XP machines sadly lacked in power.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

Windows 7 actually uses LESS system resources than Windows Vista, and is less problematic. Personally, I don't see why anyone would want to run Vista when they have 7. There's nothing compatible with Vista that isn't compatible with 7.

I'd advise to simply install Windows 7 and leave Vista on the shelf.

8. Spock96

I'm going for rigs running XP(got it already), Vista,Win7,Linux. So I can learn each OS so I can help friends with their problems.

9. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Have you considered simply using virtual machine software to run Vista on? I use VMWare Workstation (not free) but there's free ones about. You can install as many virtual OS's as your hard drive space permits.

10. Spock96

I knew about them, but never thought to Implement one. Mainly because this rig I'm currently running doesn't support any free ones I've found. (could I keep Vista as my main on my new rig(don't question why) and emulate XP Home and Win7 off of it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds