Dual Booting Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by PrivatePile, Mar 20, 2012.

1. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

I've looked around a bit and I can't seem to find an article on how to do what I'm trying to accomplish. Currently I'm running Windows 7 Pro 64bit on my work PC. Unfortunately a member of our team has decided to take employment elsewhere, and now I'm going to be taking on all of his responsibilities (25 years of experience I get to learn in 2 weeks :banghead). Part of that involves using a software that only works on 32-bit. I've tried using it in compatibility mode, and it seems to crash too often to be productive with.

What I'd like to do is create a Dual Boot between the 64bit version I currently have installed, and a new 32 bit version I'd use solely for this software. Problem I have is, I don't have a separate partition defined already. I've got 33gb of space left on a 150gb drive (almost all data is stored on network drives), of which probably 20gb can be cleaned up if necessary. Can someone help me do what I'm trying to accomplish?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You need to create a second partition. Some free tools do this:

http://majorgeeks.com/Parted_Magic_d6107.html

Now configure how to multiboot:

Open System by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking System.

2. Click Advanced System Settings. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.

4. Under System startup, in the Default operating system list, click the operating system that you want to use when you turn on or restart your computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds