Dual-booting XP with PCLinuxOS

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tater, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

Hi guys,

I currently have a XP pro machine with a second HDD (60 gig) for backups. I was thinking of copying all my backup stuff over to main HDD and installing PCLinuxOS on it. Couple of quick questions:

1) Can a format the HDD with this Distro or do I need to do it another way
    2) After the install, can I easily copy all my backups back or is there more to do to be able to access the XP drive and vice-versa?
    Also, anyone have thoughts on PCLinuxOS?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. PhilD

PhilD Private E-2

Hi Tater,

If you copy all your backup stuff to your main HD, boot the live CD and install you should have no problems. Mounting a Windows drive under linux can be tricky. The Windows drive will be hda1 and you will need to mount it manually or through fstab. Google mount windows in linux and read a bit.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/lnag/lnag_drives.html

I use PClinuxOS stand alone and have not looked back, but like most linux converts always have more than one distro on the go.

PhilD

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Since the most recent kernels, hard drives are no longer known as the hd* designation, but as sd*. It was once just for SATA, but extends to all drives now.

This is as of kernel 2.6.20+

Just keep that in mind.

4. loonacycle

loonacycle Private E-2

The answers to both your questions is YES you will be able.

You can actually test this first with the live cd copying one or two throwaway files. You can even use cut&paste. Just so ez compared to the old ways.

have phun =)

5. Tater

Tater Tot

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds