Dual Channel vs. Triple Channel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BigMikeDogg, Jun 3, 2009.

1. BigMikeDogg

BigMikeDogg Private E-2

Here may be a stupid question, but here goes. So I recently bought an EVGA motherboard to go with my new setup. after putting everything together, the motherboard seems to be bad. I called EVGA to get help and they are telling me that the dual channel RAM has a too high of a voltage (1.7V). After not making any sense to me, I called the customer sales line and asked the highest voltage the motherboard could handle. I was told 1.8V triple channel. I called tech support back and they immediately went on the defensive and said that this motherboard DOES NOT support dual channel.

A couple things. First, really? Do they make motherboards that can only support triple channel? Second, the booklet that comes with is says that if it is running in single channel mode do this. . . dual channel, do this. . . and so on. That, to me, suggests that it DOES support dual channel. Thoughts? Did they lie to me outright? Thanks!

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

i'm not too sure about the voltages, but are you sure you are using the correct slots for dual channel operation? does it boot up at all? if so, you might have to go into the bios and set it up immediately after you turn it on. you might even just have to install one dimm to get it to turn on. It should turn on with only one. And you probably have to reset the bios/cmos with the proper jumper/button before you turn it on.

and just to clarify, what type of ram are you using. Not to sound stupid, but are you sure it's the correct type and you are not confusing dualchannel/triple channel with ddr2/ddr3? not saying you don't know or anything but i just want to be clear.

3. BigMikeDogg

BigMikeDogg Private E-2

Good ideas, and thank you for the response. The computer won't POST and will not get anywhere no matter if I am using one or both sticks of RAM. I originally had them in the 1 and 3 slots which is where the booklet said to put them if you are putting them in Dual Channel. After you said the thing about DDR2 and DDR3 I did double check (just to make sure there was no brain fart) and it is DDR3. I finally (after numerous talks to EVGA and no consistent answers) decided that it is simply a bad motherboard and have since RMA'd it. Thank you for your help and concern.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

cool...evga is a pretty good company to deal with (from the things i've heard)

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If by "only" you mean triple channel or nothing, then no. Motherboards designed to support triple (or dual) channel memory will run in single channel mode if triple (or dual) is not enabled. According to the dual/triple channel architects, Intel, triple channel reverts to dual channel mode when only two sticks are used.

So it would appear your motherboard may have been faulty - or in need of a BIOS reset.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds