Dual Connect Cable Modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AirWarrior001, Aug 6, 2004.

1. AirWarrior001

AirWarrior001 Private E-2

Aquick question guys. Would a cable modem work by connecting both the USB cable and an ethernet cable to seperate computers? If so, is there a loss of speed?

2. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

What about using a hub or a router?

3. JonJonMcKay

JonJonMcKay Private E-2

I'm pretty certain this doesn't work. Simply because the modem would be trying to give two different computers the same IP and all of that, and the connection would get all screwed up. I'm pretty certain my friend tried this with his cable modem and it did not work.

4. Freddy

Freddy Sergeant

Depends on the modem. Do you have the manuals? Some toshiba modems allow both connections and even give instructions on how to do it.

5. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis Moutharrhea

If it isn't though I would just go out and get a router. They aren't that expensive maybe like $30 or something...idk i haven't seen them in a while. also if you wanted to spend a little more (like $70) you could get a wireless one and then if you have a laptop you could use the connection anywhere in your house...pretty cool...

6. AirWarrior001

AirWarrior001 Private E-2

Thanks guys. Actually I do have a Linksys wireless g router. I just got it set up. It was just something I was thinking about.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds