Dual Fan Radiator Wiring - I'm sure I'm doing this wrong.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackandwhitefeathers, Dec 27, 2011.

1. blackandwhitefeathers

blackandwhitefeathers Private E-2

Hi all, and thanks for checking out my problem.

I just upgraded my PSU and wasn't really paying as much attention as I should have on disassembly. The computer was assembled by the folks at Ibuypower and I'm having trouble getting the CPU cooler functioning again.

The dual 120mm radiator that cools the CPU has a 4pin female connector coming out of it, and when plugging it into the mobo 4pin fan plug only one fan turns. There is a fan controller included with the case (NZXT Phantom) and there are 2 3pin male connectors that correspond with the CPU cooler (they're labeled, thankfully). The 3pin connections have had their plug housings cut to accommodate a >3pin connector.

Judging from what I saw when the fan was connected to the mobo and my limited understanding of molex fan wiring, I think I am supposed to wire in both 3pin connectors from the controller as such (forgive my crappy diagram):

MALE Female
    FAN controller CPU cooler

-----
    FAN TACH -
    GND ]FAN1 GND
    +12V ]FAN1 +12V
    +12V ]FAN2 +12V
    GND ]FAN2 GND
    FAN TACH -
    -----

Have any of you seen a similar setup when wiring a dual fan setup on a single fan controller channel? Does this make sense? I won't have a chance to try this until after my night shift. If this is correct do you have any advice on how to get this wiring correct? I don't remember if the wires are colored for the fan but im pretty sure the fan side are all black. My multimeter was stolen, so I can't easily find the +12V hot wire. If I just guess and check am I putting my system at risk? Even without the fans turning the liquid pump keeps the CPU idling at mid 30's degC.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. blackandwhitefeathers

blackandwhitefeathers Private E-2

Nevermind.. I bought a stronger flashlight and found the other wire. All good now.

3. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

I was about to say, there should be 2 wires if it's a dual rad :D

BTW you can buy yourself a 4 pin PWM fan splitter that will allow you to have both the fans running from the 4 pin connector on the motherboard, this will allow you to have automatic fan control, so when the pc gets hot, the fans speed up.

Or you could stay the way you are if you are happy to adjust the fans to your needs using the controller.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds