Dual monitors question: ATI Extended Mode not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamon51, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jamon51

jamon51 Private E-2

System specs:
    AMD Athlon 3200+ 64 bit (not in 64 bit mode)
    2 Gig DDR RAM
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256
    Catalyst 5.12
    Windows XP Home SP2

I do gaming and also work on this computer and I recently added a second monitor I had laying around. Using the RGB out for my primary (19" monitor) and the DVI out (with a DVI to RGB adapter) to my secondary (21" CRT monitor), I am able to go to "Stretched Horizontally." I don't like the Stretched mode as the refresh rate is limited to 60 hz and the taskbar stretches across both monitors.

ATI's website says that there is a mode called Extended Desktop. I assume this is very similar to nVidia's "DualView" mode. However, it isn't even an option in the Catalyst Control Center. I've gone through ATI's support website (which isn't half bad, by the way) and after a week of back-and-forth they are saying it's a problem with my Windows installation and I have to repair or reinstall Windows! Gimme a break!

For example, when I right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, choose Settings, I get a single monitor shown that labels itself as [multiple monitors] on Radeon 9800 Pro. It's supposed to have two monitors shown so I can choose the option to "Extend my windows desktop to this monitor" but there's no second monitor shown.

Anyone had this problem? Any suggestions before I plow into reinstalling XP? *shudder*

See my attachment for a screenshot of the display properties.

Thanks,
    Jamon

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds