Dual-screen on same monitor

Discussion in 'Software' started by rkerr25, Jun 22, 2010.

1. rkerr25

rkerr25 Private E-2

Running a Gateway Lt20 i think, well anyways the screen went from regular to having dual screens on the same monitor, i know it's a software issue but can't remember how to fix it.

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Have you used dual monitors on that computer? Have you ever installed special software for dual monitors? If not, why do you think it's a software issue?

3. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

Are you running the Nvidia nView Desktop Manager. I know they have a setting in there that will let you change it to screen applications, but you have to enable it to get to those settings.

4. rkerr25

rkerr25 Private E-2

I haven't run duel monitors on this net ..book and i didn't know that i could. I accidently did at one time on another computer and it was a desktop not a note or net book. It is my son that thinks that this is a software problem. I used to know how to fix this problem, but it has been so long that I don't remember how to disable the second monitor. I know the fix is a simple one. Gateway tech support are morons at least the ones that i talked to. They want me to send the laptop to TX for repairs, the last time I sent my laptop off for repairs the fried my mother board, the screen came back cracked as well as the cover. That was 2 years ago and i still haven't got that one back one yet. I just need to know how to deactivate the second monitor.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

What does this dual screen display look like? Is it split in the middle, with the left half and right half of your screen getting an equal amount of space, or what?

You did not answer Trussman's question about Nvidia nView Desktop Manager.

According to the specs at http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/notebooks/0,39050490,44700451p,00.htm, you have a VGA port on the netbook, so it could support an external monitor.

What OS are you running?

6. rkerr25

rkerr25 Private E-2

I'm running windows xp, the screen is split into 4 with the left portion black and it is about a 1/4 on the left side being black, with a taskbar running all the way accross. The bottom 1/4 shows the top portion of the top screen
    and the right shows a full window. When I plug the netbook into a external monitor the second monitor is normal.

7. rkerr25

rkerr25 Private E-2

no im'm not running Nvidia nView Desktop Manager. If i have it I can't find it.

8. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

If you have it, you can find it on the control panel screen

9. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Not running XP, so have to go from memory.

If you go to display properties and poke around through all the tabs, you should find a setting referring to single/dual monitors. Wish I could be more specific. I'm on vista right now and if I right click on the desktop, one of the options I get is "Graphics personalize", and that brings me to a screen for single/dual monitor.

But its a little different in XP, but not hard to find.

If all looks good there, what happens if you boot in safe mode?
    Next I would try diagnostic mode from msconfig.

What then?

10. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Or, open Device Manager and expand the section for Display adapter. It will tell you the name, which will probably be something identifying nVidia, ATI, or Intel. What does it show?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds