Dual screens?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pomx72, Nov 15, 2006.

1. pomx72

pomx72 Private E-2

I was at my friends house and he has a monitor connected to his pc. He can scroll from screen to screen. I connected another monitor to my laptop and i see duplicate to what is on my laptop screen. I read around to see if i could do that on my laptop. Iv come to the conclusion that i need to have a pc in order to do it. I dont know much about computers. I was hoping maybe you guys know a way for me to somehow be able to do it? I tried maxivista but it didnt seem to work

2. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

OK....to be able to run your computer with dual monitors (notebook or pc) you have to either run 2 video cards (SLI) or your single video card must support a dual monitor configuration for which you will have to use a dvi-vga adapter.(one connector on your card will be vga, the other is usually DVI or DVI-D)
    To see if this is possible with a single video card, if using XP, right click on your desktop, select properties, settings tab, and if you see two boxes numbered 1 and 2 you should be OK.
    Shutdown your system, connect up your second monitor and then reboot, going into device manager to see that your extra display is recognized.
    Then follow the procedure above again to get into display properties settings tab, click the numbered 2 box, then check the box saying 'extend my desktop onto this monitor and you should be up and running!

Hope this helps....

Regards!

3. pomx72

pomx72 Private E-2

When i right click and do what you said i should do there is only one screen. I installed maxivista earlier and then 2 screens apear, I just couldnt get it to work

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

pomx72, what video card do you have? Depending on the video card, and what drivers you are running, the process will be different.

If you right click on your desktop and select properties->settings tab->advanced, it should be somewhere in there. If you let us know what video card you have, we can help a little more.

5. pomx72

pomx72 Private E-2

I dont know what my laptop has in it.How can i find out? so i can tell you guys

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds