Dual Video Cards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jagdpanzer, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

I'm taking parts from a computer that is no longer used and adding them to my system. I have in my case a PCI GeForce FX 5200, and I want to add an AGP version of the same card... will I be able to make this work, and improve the graphics and whatnot?

2. Tubnotub1

Tubnotub1 Private First Class

So, just to clarify, the mobo you have in you machine has a PCI slot or an AGP slot? If it has an AGP slot you may see an increase in performance due to the increase in bandwith, however, you saying you have in your case right now a PCI GeForce FX 5200 makes it seem as though the mobo you are using only supports PCI, in which case you cannont upgrade 2 an AGP card unless you replace the mobo. Assuming you DO have a PCI and AGP slot for video cards, having one in each slot will NOT increase performance, as Mobo's that old do not support Dual Video cards being used to create one image... that i know of.

3. Jagdpanzer

I have PCI slots (no PCI-express slots) and an AGP slot. This Mobo isn't even a year old, it's a Gigabit Prescott for P4 HT CPUs.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

The AGP version of the FX5200 should give you better perfomance over the PCI version due to the fatter AGP pipeline, but the only real advantage you will gain with both installed is the ability to hook up a monitor to each card and set up a dual-monitor desktop. The cards are seperate and will not magically combine to increase performance.

5. Jagdpanzer

Well, I had a feeling they wouldn't. But I wanted to see if there was something to be gained from it. However, there is not, so I'll go back to my Frankenstein work. Thanks guys.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds