Dual vs. Single Graphics cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atat9, Jan 19, 2007.

1. atat9

atat9 Private E-2

I'm looking at buying a new custom computer (probably from Digital Storm.) I can't decide if it's practical to have dual high end graphics cards or if a single will be fine. I would def. like to get a nvidia 8800 gts or gtx, but is it really necessary to have a dual setup? Or should I just put the money into more RAM or better cooling? Thanks so much!

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Alot depends on the application of your hardware.

Some considerations:

What is the native resolution of your monitor? Alot of modern LCD monitors are designed to look best at a specific (and typically high) resolution. You would need alot of GPU power in this case, and would likely benefit from an SLI or Crossfire configuration.

What are you doing with the computer? Modern games and 3D CAD modelling applications need alot of GPU power as well, and would be suitable candidates for a dual-GPU configuration.

3. atat9

atat9 Private E-2

I will be using it for gaming

4. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

a single one will be fine for a while and you can always add another one if you need to

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds