Duel screen output

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GarybTCC, Mar 16, 2008.

1. GarybTCC

GarybTCC Private E-2

I would like to add a second screen to my computer. I use this setup all the time on another system. That system we have a duel head card on it. I have an ME system that uses 2 cards.

Can someone tell me if I can use two cards on an XP system

Gary

2. biddy187

biddy187 Private E-2

Hi you can use a dual screen in Xp and you will need a fairly up to date dual monitor card but you may need more RAM to run it depending on what you have give me some more details on your system!

3. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

XP can run up to 10 monitors, and easier than ME could.

4. GarybTCC

GarybTCC Private E-2

I have an onboard video card. Then I have an old card that is a single output. My ME machine will do the two card thing. Is there a setting somewhere that will allow me to put that card in and use it for the second monitor. Now the slot that usually takes the video card is farther away from the back of the case. However the card that I have fits in the slots that are closer to the back.. Can this be made to work

Sorry about not knowing the proper terms for those slots

Gary

5. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

You can use the PCs onboard as one and the card as a second. Since your talking about swapping cards between PCs we need to figure out what type of slots you have avail and what type your card is. I suggest running Everest on both to see if you have, its avail here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html.

The card will most likely be an AGP or PCI (since your running ME). APG slots are usally Brown.

PCI slots are white.

And PCI-E (express) slots are usally any other color but white or brown, most often black

6. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Yes, you can. I've even had three video cards installed in my Win XP computer; this was one AGP and two PCI cards.

However, if your card is very, very old, you may have a problem finding a driver for Win XP. I tried an old ATI Xpert 98 PCI card, with 8MB of memory on the card, with Win XP but could not get it to work. Yet, on the same machine - I have a dual-boot configuration with Win 98SE and Win XP - that card worked fine with Win 98SE.

7. GarybTCC

GarybTCC Private E-2

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

If the card you have is a PCI then you should have no problem getting it to work, it won't be as good or fast as a PCI-E card but it will enable you to runs dual monitors. Down load current drivers (save to a file) before you install it, then install the drivers.

9. GarybTCC

GarybTCC Private E-2

The problem that I am having is that it kills the onboard video card when I plug in the external

I found out what the problem is. You cannot use the onboard card for one of the cards.. you have to have two externals

Gary

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds