Dumb Question - How Do I Change My Computer's Name

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cody_M, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

I was given this Computer from a friend's company (when mine got fried). It still has the company's name on it and I can't figure out how or where to change it. All User Names and Passwords and User Accounts are OK. Using XP Home.

Thanks
    Cody

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

Re: Dumb Question - How Do I Change My Computer's Name

Simple easy to follow step-by-step directions (with pictures) can be found at the following link: How to change your Computer Name (or Workgroup) in Windows XP

Important Note: The directions above are for your 'Computer Name' (or Workgroup) and NOT your computer's "usernames"

Good Luck! -- COMP

3. Cody_M

Cody_M Private E-2

Compuable -

In the link you provided the directions are to click on "Performance & Maintenance" in the Control Panel - my Contol Panel does not have that category and I could find nothing else to take me to the "Change" page . - Any Ideas?

4. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

Try Control Panel>System>Computer Name tab and click the "Change" button. Note the caveat about renaming possibly affecting the access to network resources.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds