Dumps

Discussion in 'Software' started by tommy2k8, Jul 18, 2008.

1. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Private First Class

My client has a computer that has not really worked from 3 months in - it started turning itself off for no reason; he got BSOD's: memory corruption reported; however, doing a Tufftest, which has a memory test, says there's nothing wrong with the memory. Can anyone shed some light on whats wrong?

Attached Files:

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

What have you tried so far? It would be a help to know what repair options you've attempted so far...

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What would the BSOD error messages be in full? as the dumps lead to a few various system files as in LSM and SMSS, these could be down to heat or incompatible software or drivers installed in Vista.

For heat issue, have them check system temps after using PC for a while, for seeing if drivers could be an issue boot into safe mode and see if PC works ok.

Check and update drivers to latest Vista ones.

What software if any may have been added around the time of the sudden random shutdowns?

Check for malware as its a possible.

4. tommy2k8

tommy2k8 Private First Class

2 of the dumps point to graphics and sound card problems, and two are memory corruption (which I don't understand, as I have done memory tests with nothing coming up).
    It could be the heat problem (another fan had to be put in).
    The problems were still there when a new power supply was installed, and also when SP1 was installed.
    I still don't see how memory corruption comes into it!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds