Duplicate file finder for jpg

Discussion in 'Software' started by LauraR, Dec 31, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

I've done a search and there is a lot of junk out there in this category that I'm not willing to download onto my machine.

I've tried: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Duplicate_Cleaner_d5464.html The free version does not support photo search and using the regular scan on photos didn't work. I even created one duplicate in a folder of about 10 files and it didn't discover it.

Has anyone successfully used any of the utilities out there for photos?

2. LauraR

3. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

4. LauraR

No, I didn't try that one. If the one doesn't work, I'll look at it. This is for my mom's new computer. Rather than having me or one of my daughters get it set up, my dad decided he should do it. She now having issues with a bunch of stuff...including duplicate photos. :rolleyes

I give him points for trying, but take away double for not asking for help. (He's been a Mac user for about 5 or 6 years now, so is no longer all that familiar with Windows...especially 8)

5. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

You could use Everything Search and put *.jpg or *.jpeg in the search field.

The default listing is in alphabetical order, which is changeable, so it's easy to see if there are any duplicates.
    However, it will probably be a very long list.
    You can choose the ones you want to Delete right from the list, which shows the location of every file.

There's even a Portable version that does not require installation, which is what I use.
    You can still put shortcuts wherever you want.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm afraid I will clear something that appears as a duplicate but is actually different. So I never search for duplicate files.

Does she need photos on her computer? If so, first burn everything onto a data CD. (As soon as we come back from a trip, I burn all the photos from the trip onto a running data picture CD I have). Then remove all the photos from the computer. She can look at the photos on the CD and only move back the ones she wants. She also doesn't have to do this in a day or two.

7. LauraR

They are all on an external harddrive and she wants them all on her computer as well so she can go through them and do some things with them. She also wants them organized by date, which I have no problem doing (I am a serious amateur photographer and work with photo files all the time...just have a much better backup system than my dad seems to have). I haven't seen any of it yet so don't know what the state of affairs is. She is not even remotely tech savvy, just got a new laptop with plenty of space to fit her photos, so the best thing for her is to have them on there for easy access. I am impressed they are all backed up to an external harddrive.

The visipics software actually looks the most promising. It shows the thumbnail view of the actual photos it pulls up as duplicates so you can see them both.

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Duplicate File Remover is one of the tools in my arsenal. It scans the files for content, not just name and generates a list of everything for you to review.

http://www.duplicatefileremover.com/

Warranted it's a paid license ($29.95), but for someone in my position it has already paid for itself.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds