Duplicate/Triplicate files in System32 folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi,

I have Windows XP 2000 Pro. I had a few problems with my pc last week, especially with files in my system32 folder. I got it all straightened out with the help of some good people here, and I also had to download and install SP2 again.

When I was running an AVG scan a little while ago, it reported that I had 2 shell32 files and it put the word "ok" in the status box for both of them. When I took a look inside system32 folder, I saw that I have 3 of them listed as shell32, shell32(2)(2), and shell32(4). I also have several copies of browseui, mshtmled, shlwapi, urlmon, and wininet. These are files that aren't inside folders. I didn't look inside the folders to see if there were multiple copies. I removed the copies from the Ssstem32 folder and I put them inside a folder on my desktop. I rebooted and everything seems fine . . . no problems booting up, no problems on the net, no problems with my ex hd's, etc. I haven't tried to run every program that I have, but would it be safe to say that these duplicate and triplicate copies aren't needed and I can delete them?

My pc has been booting strangely lately also. I'd get the Windows start-up screen (black background, large letters for Windows with bar underneath it with lines moving inside it) for about 15 seconds, then I have a blank screen for about 10 seconds, then the Windows start-up screen appears again for about 20 seconds. After that, I get the message that "Windows is loading your personal settings" for about 30 seconds. My desktop then appears and I get two set-up icons on my taskbar for about 2 seconds (I have no idea what they're for). It then takes about a minute after that before I can do anything, such as open a folder on my desktop. I have no programs in my start-up folder and the only items that are in my system tray are AVG, Sygate Firewall and my internet connection.

Another problem . . . I have Windows Defender but, starting a few days ago, my pc will no longer allow it to download updates and I don't know the reason for that either. I haven't changed any settings. In order to allow Windows Defender to download the updates, I shut off Sygate firewall and AVG but Windows Defender still couldn't download the updates. I get a bubble popping sound. I have Windows firewall disabled.

Anybody have any ideas about these 3 items?

Denise

2. JimSpriggs

JimSpriggs Private E-2

Hullo all,
    I also have many duplicate files ... 1.7Gbytes on a harddrive with onlt 17Gb used.
    I have thught for a long time about what could safely be deleted and what not but still unsure.
    If a company that were to have a true and safe methof for scanning puters I think they'd be very successful.
    My machine has slowed down in the last two weeks and I've scanned and found all the attached files.
    Does anybody know a safe way to clear up my system?
    I've just put all the SP2 upgrades onto my 3 year old XP.
    I run Norton Corporate, Spybot, AdAware Pro, Ewido Premium and defrag regularly as well as CrapCleaner.
    Hope someone can help both myself and Denise M.
    Cheers.
    Please Click ....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Jim, welcome to MG.:)

Another Aussie,:cool: but you would be better posting a new thread to keep both threads separate.

Solutions to either person's problem can get confusing when they form one thread only.
    I suggest that you start a new thread. Bazza

4. JimSpriggs

JimSpriggs Private E-2

Thanks Bazza. Surviving Winter in Cairns alright? :)
    Yes I've started a new thread to achieve an answer for this vexing problem I'm sure for a lot of 'amateurs'.
    It's under the heading "Duplicate and Triplicate a la Carte Too Much".
    I sure know it's a virtual taboo to delete any '.dll' files but when I have six or more of the same file... it gets frustrating/tempting.
    Cheers,
    JS.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Yep, gets down to 16º overnight :D Although we had a <11º in the last few days.:cool: :cool:
    but around 26º during the day.
    Bazza

PS: Whereabouts in the East Coast are you? Baz
    ===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds