DVD Burner insanity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toolio20, Feb 16, 2007.

1. toolio20

toolio20 Private E-2

Hi, this is my second post on this forum, so bear with me if I'm still deficient in the proper posting etiquette...
    I had some malware issues and did a reformat of my machine, and everything is fine now EXCEPT for the fact that my CD-DVD+/-R RW combo drives are all futzed up. Apparently, Windows XP is only detecting them as plain old CD DRIVES - that is to say, they read/write CD's perfectly, and play DVD's, but when any type of blank DVD media is put into either drive (they are identical I/O Magic IDVD16DD's), that drive's label (under My Computer) changes from "DVD-RW Drive" to "CD Drive" and any attempt to burn as a DVD (I'm using Nero) ends in failure.

A right click under properties lists the device type as DVD/CD-ROM drive with Manufacturer listed as "Standard CD-ROM drives." The driver version is 5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001. I've tried to update the driver, but predictably this has proved futile - "wizard could not find a better match...than...you currently have installed." And for sure, I went to the manufacturer's website - they don't MAKE a driver for this device, and the only troubleshooting tip was to right click the device and disable the Desktop CD recording. Which of course totally solved the problem NOT.

I did not have any trouble with these drives before the reinstall - the autoplay prompted "new dvd project" and burning was flawless. Now they're basically just CD-RW/DVD-ROM drives, which is not what I want or paid to have. I've been scouring google, microsoft and various forums for answers, and the best lead I've come up with is something about XP NOT having DVD burning capability built in. Maybe when I initially installed the drives I had to do something with that, but I don't remember if that was the case. If anyone out there can help guide me in the right direction as far as solving this issue, I'd be extremely grateful. And if I haven't provided enough system or hardware info, let me know what's missing and I'll post it immediately.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice or help.

2. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

All I can suggest

uninstal both drives through the device manager
    shutdown the computer
    disconnect the IDE cables from both drives
    startup the computer
    shutdown the computer
    reconnect the IDE cables
    startup the computer
    windows will reinstal the default drivers.

Seems a bit strange, but by following these steps the drives must be fully removed from the system - hence the startup and shutdown in the middle

So it becomes like a clean instal of the drive.

50/50 as to if it will work (at best :) )

You have just answered my thread about DVD drives, so I am clearly not an expert !!!

otherwise the next step would be to uninstal / reinstal nero
    (which I havent tried myself yet :eek: )

Give it a try and post back

Good luck mate

3. toolio20

toolio20 Private E-2

yeah, that didn't work... but thanks for the tip anyway! Windows is sort of like an old car sometimes, you just piddle and tinker with it enough and sometimes that alone will fix the problem.

I read in some random forums that the detection and recognition of drives could perhaps be related to having ATAPI drivers for XP. I've downloaded and tried to install ATAPI several times, and on each occasion I run Nero Infotool which shows "system ATAPI corrupted." Wheeee.

I'm still tinkering, and hopefully someone out there knows of a sure-fire resolution to this maddening problem.
    Thanks again for your answer, and I hope your own computro issue is on its way to getting solved!

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Are you running SP2???? Try Windows Update. If you did a fresh install w/ an older XP CD, you may not be running SP2; and SP2 might just fix your problems....

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Also, if the drivers have been corrupted, have you tried puttong your XP disc in, and running sfc /scannow ?

7. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Yo toolio

try baklogic's
    sfc /scannow
    suggestion it worked for me :highfive

you have a different issue to me, but, short of reinstalling windows, I would say this is the go.

After inserting the CD, close the autostart
    then go to
    Start - Run
    and type in
    sfc /scannow

good luck

8. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Ok

Changed my mind
    or at least my computer did
    turns out on restart #4 it is back to non-existance

9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I have not tried sfc /scannow in safe mode, but it could be worth the time, in case windows is overwriting the changes.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

12. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Any progress Toolio ?

Im going in leaps and bounds (backwards and downhill :D )

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you tried :-

Open Device Manager and then open IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers,
    right click the first entry (the Controller) and select uninstall,

click ok, then reboot. Windows should then find a new device and install the correct drivers.
    Nero seems to prop up in the problem pages too
    Possibly an update to Nero could help.

ROXIO EASY CD, AND NERO
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315350/

14. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Nero was on another link, but I could'nt find it again.

15. Jim R.

Jim R. Private E-2

I don't really know if this is a hardware or software problem. As usual Dell says it's a software problem and Microsoft say's it's a hardware problem. Anyway I've got a new Dell notebook and am trying to transfer files from my desktop via CD. Unreal, but when I try to copy the CD to a folder the only thing that is copied is my CD shortcut icon. Help please

16. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you are trying to just save to CD, Try uninstalling Nero.
    XP has its own cd writing software.
    Try , then to open the CD Rom folder in My cOmputer, dragging the files into the cd folder, and see if Windows will burn it then, WITHOUT OTHER SOFTWARE.

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Windows should see the files, and if you get the option, write to CD.
    As I said previously, I have seen a reference to problems with a version of Nero.
    I just wish I could find it again.

18. Jim R.

Jim R. Private E-2

Thanks, but what's Nero? Add or remove Programs doesn't show it, also did a file search through Windows Explorer and found nothing.:cry

19. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

In your original post you said you were using Nero.
    If you cannot find it now, that would be a problem, as you need to reinstall, if you have a disc.
    Did you try :-

Open Device Manager and then open IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers,
    right click the first entry (the Controller) and select uninstall,
    click ok, then reboot. Windows should then find a new device and install the drivers.

20. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Shane said the sfc /scannow worked, until restarting.
    Just a thought, while trying to find a permanent fix, if it works, after sfc /scannow, set a restore point as soon as you know it is working, then if it goes again, pick the restore point, and Voila.

21. Jim R.

Jim R. Private E-2

Sorry, just realized your comments about Nero were to someone else.

Jim R.

22. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

To JIM- R
    Somehow your post got onto this one of Toolie's.
    There seems to be a lot of people with writing problems, on their PC'S/Laptops.
    Many of the little links/tips to Toolie, are worth noting.
    But are you copying through XP , or another program.
    If it is with Xp , do you open the folder by going to My Computer, and clicking on the writing Drive, then drag and drop the files onto that folder ?

23. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

As my problem is intermittent (which makes even less sense)
    it is difficult to say if it worked at all.
    By rights it would have if it was directly a driver issue, although i did not try it in safe mode.

24. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Scouring around, I noticed that the motherboard chipset driver can also have syptoms like this.
    When you reinstalled , did you update the motherboard drivers ? Particularly the chipset driver ?

25. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

As far as i know the chipset driver is the only driver available for my board.
    It is always one of the first things I reinstal after reformatting.

Im fairly sure I wasnt playing with much at the time of this first happening.
    (no driver upgrades etc)
    except for the adaptec udf stuff, which pretty much just did its own thing.
    Reformatting would have (or at least should have) got rid of any conflicts as such.

This isnt life or death for me at the moment, pc still works !
    it just doesnt make a lot of sense, which probably means it is something simple that I am overlooking.
    The obvious thing is to uninstal all of the microsoft updates and see what happens, but that really doesnt sound like a lot of fun.

I can find no info that directly relates to the issue that I am having
    but, then again, I cannot find any info on my other current issue either
    modifying the taskbar
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=117844

think my technique needs work - especially regarding searching of microsoft support !

thanks for all of your input :wave

26. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I know that it would be a pain, trying to uninstall updates, but, as it seems a recent problem, maybe one at a time might find a culprit.
    When I finish building my new pc,I might spend some time looking more into this DVD/CD problem, as there are so many variations.
    I run Hyperos, with Partition magic, and have 4 XP setups, for different programs,and it has not happened to my computer, on any partition, and they are all up to date - Mystery !
    Perhaps a combination of circumstances bring the fault.As you are probably well aware, conflicts do not always show up, when removing programs, or, in dvd and cd writing programs , and registry corruption.
    I have tended to be lazy, and use Registry repair pro, BUT, I look at every entry, as I have got to know a lot of things that it will offer to repair, or, delete, or change path to, which I know can be misinterpreted by the program - but it does make a back up, and I can put it all back , if I mess up.
    I have not messed with the Taskbar, but if I get time, and nobody comes back to you,before I do, I will see if I can look up the move.

27. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Cheers

I will have to look up info on what the individual updates do at some stage
    so I can start with the likely suspects first

Re: taskbar
    As I mentioned i have looked at microsoft support
    searched: taskbar, taskbar format, taskbar customise etc
    get down to about 20,000 matches at best !
    most of these seem to be duplicates of the simple stuff (right click context menu)
    reg edits on grouping etc
    If I find a really good registry guide I may be able to work it out myself
    I dont normally go as far as creating keys etc

for the last 6 years I have done it just by moving the taskbar around, changing the size etc, and all of a sudden it just snaps to (not very methodical) works exactly the same with ME as with XP.

PS sorry for hijacking your thread Toolio (wherever you are ;) )

28. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Toolie, have you had any luck ? we would like to know.
    Shanemail,
    Had a quick buzz around, and it seems that, other than registry hacking, you probably need to look for a third party tool to do more , that you want to do with the Taskbar, but I will keep it in mind, unless someone jumps on board with the knowhow.

29. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

30. toolio20

toolio20 Private E-2

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips, I've been out of pocket for a few days and haven't had a chance to get back on here.

Remember the old car analogy? Well, tooling around with my video camera the other day I finally decided I'd load up the capture software, and the Sony ImageMixer setup informed me that it was going to install ASPI drivers for my machine. After the install, I ran InfoTool, and this time, instead of showing up corrupted, System ASPI read "Some files missing." Well, since the warning msg color had gone from red to yellow, I figured that was a positive thing and said what the hell, I'll gamble another DVD-R and see what's afoot.

Lo and behold I was finally able to burn to DVD media with Nero... with only ONE major problem. The "capacity" bar on Nero (y'know, that gauge that tells you how much crap you can stuff on your disc without going over) was set to 8GB, instead of the normal 4.whatever GB of your standard DVD (which this disc definitely was). Anyway to fix this? And still no AutoRun for blank DVD media as well. I feel like that bulldog guy from Legend of Zelda : "Grumble, grumble"
    And thanks again for the advice, guys.

P.S. (you're official Dork Illuminati if you get that last reference!)

31. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Have you tried the basic My Computer,right clicking the DVD drive,properties, clicking the autoplay tab, then selecting the action , and ticking apply, then, o.k. , now that the writer has at least decided to function.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds