DVD burner will not read DVDRWs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knighttemplar, Dec 24, 2007.

1. knighttemplar

knighttemplar Private E-2

Hello,
    I have just bought a new Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D burner. I installed it on a computer that is running Windows xp professional with sp2. The unit is recognized by the computer and I can read cds and dvd r discs,but it doesnt read dvd rw's. It just recognizes that the disc is in the unit, but when I try to open it with windows explorer, it just shows it as empty. Also, I tried to play its contents with nero or windows media player, but it won't play anything. I went to microsoft knowledge base and found an article that says that there is a problem in windows xp to read dvdrw's and downloaded a hot fix and installed it. It didn't work either. Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you put the discs in and go thru the motions to burn to it using Nero (without doing any actual burning), does Nero recognize that there is data on it? If you right click on it with Windows Explorer and go to Properties, does it show any data being on it? The problem may be that the discs haven't been finalized. Some drives have problems reading non-finalized RW's, both DVDRW and CDRW. It happens; it shouldn't but it's not unheard of. Check with Pioneer for a possible fix or firmware upgrade. If the drive is brand new, it should be under warranty and you may need to return it if a fix is unavailable. Good luck!

:wine Happy Holidays! :dancer

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds