DVD - Cd burning software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by suesman, Nov 30, 2004.

1. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I just got a new dvd burner & I'm wondering, what software some of you are using & what your experiences with it have been. The drive came with Nero Express & I'm already not happy with it. :rolleyes: I'm looking at Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 . Anybody have some knowledge of that program?

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

I like Roxio, but the majority of people here seem to enjoy Nero most.

Perhaps you want a more full version of Nero.

Or, there is a free CD/DVD burner that is nice called CDBurnerXP. I liked it. But I paid for Roxio so I use that most often. Roxio will not allow me to burn DVD movies however.

Here is a link...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4242.html

3. GeekaBee

GeekaBee Private E-2

Not familiar with Roxio but I personally use Pinnacle Suite. It was very easy to hookup and in minutes I was transferring old VHS movies to my computer so they could be burned to a DVD. The feature I like about the software, which the others might have as I'm not familiar with them, is when the video fades the software begins a new video file within the movie so to speak. It makes editing and organizing simple and fun.

4. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

I myself got a DVD burner yesterday, And I like roxio but as I hurd on one of the post it doensn't let you burn DVD movies....So what could be a program to do that, I was looking at Nero but What Version????

5. GeekaBee

GeekaBee Private E-2

Are you asking what software will allow you to take an already existing DVD movie and make copies of it????

6. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

yes, like backups. And I also want to be able to make and burn my own movies....What software should I use for that?

7. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

8. GeekaBee

GeekaBee Private E-2

I'm only familiar with Pinnacle. That's the one I use and I'm 100% happy with it. You can transfer VHS to DVD, makes as many copies of non-protected materials as you like, and of coarse create and edit your own DVD home movies. If you're interested here is a link.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/

I have Pinnacle Studio 8!

9. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

You can use Roxio to make and burn you OWN movies. Roxio will not allow you to copy or burn copyrighted DVD's however.

I have not tested this, but I have seen suggestions from former posts that Nero works well with DVD Shrink. I tried DVD Shrink and tried burning with an older copy of Nero unsuccessfully, same with CDBurnerXP. CDBurnerXP claimed the ISO image I made was too large to burn to a DVD. I have not tried burning from the VIDEO_TS folders yet. DVD media is expensive, so I wanna make sure I get it right. :)

10. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

Interesting....Now quick question in what media format should I burn the DVD in, DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD+/-RW. What is the difference between the Formats...????

11. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

If you're going to use Nero get version 6 or wait until version 7 comes out, which i heard will be out shortly... if someone could fill me in there.

i've found that using DVD-R works better over +R because i've never had any erros and my DVD+R discs sometimes freeze when burning. DVD RW discs are great if you want to watch something once then copy over it, but personally I'd go for the -R

12. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

DVD-R Media it is but I'll buy some DVD-/+RW media just incase, for backing up my computer....Thankyou though....

13. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

14. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I guess I wasn't very clear about my problem & I'm sowwy. :rolleyes: I just noticed that the version of Nero that came with the drive doesn't allow you to burn wave files to cd, even with all the updates for said program. :( I was wondering what you folks used. I don't wanted to buy a program just to burn cd's & if Roxio won't allow me to burn movies then why would I want that? hehe

I know DVDXCopy isn't available anymore, but even though I didn't have the burner yet I bought it from TigerDirect when it was first released. I knew from there it wouldn't be around for very long so we bought it. ;) It will allow you to make perfect backups of DVD's. Just pop one in the DVD-ROM & a blank in the burner & wahlah, perfect copy. Menus, languages & all specials features. I have tested it & it works beautifully, I can see why they took it off the market. ;)

15. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I didn't realize that they were the ones that made the Dazzle thingy. I have a old model that no worky anymore, but it was cool. I don't recall the software that came with it. I had only used it to make video cd's. I might consider looking more into that. Thanks

16. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Nero will burn anything with the full version.. even re-encode dvds & burns & audio ..anything I ever wanted to burn Nero will do.

Some of the best BackUp software I have used is from SlySoft once Anydvd is running, CloneDvd is fast at backing up disks.

As for the +/-R debate .. it depends on what format you DVD player will play.. some standalone players like -R .. others +R .. I think +R is more the 'standard'.

my 2 cents

17. ThisChick

ThisChick Corporal

Wow so much information I didn't know..thanks guy and sorry for taking over your thread...

18. Wizry11

Wizry11 Private First Class

ok forgive the noob question . . . this site is awesome . . .

So as im about to get my first DVD burner with my new dell laptop in a week - i would like to know what software will copy a protected DVD movie to my harddrive?? I have Roxio's Easy Media Creator 7 as well but as this post suggests, Roxio does not enable this option. Sorry in advance fellas if this is a hush-hush subject - but if so can someone PM me? I'm VERY curious as to whether or not this is possible and what it would take in order to accomplish this.

Thanks guys

Wiz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds