dvd/cd rom quit working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swimmom1, Apr 7, 2008.

1. swimmom1

swimmom1 Private E-2

i have about a 1 yr old computer here. the dvd/cd rom just up and quit reading anything. the green light blinks trying to read it, but then there is nothing. it's an Hp computer. it has lightscribe, and the device manager says it's working properly, which is not the case. any ideas on what i can run or check to see if i can get this up and running again or am i going to have to install a new one? daughter is graduating soon, and i kinda need to do a cd and some songs for open house. thanks for any input here.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Here's a "quick and dirty" fix that works sometimes: go into the Device Manager, right click on the drive and select Uninstall. Reboot. This causes Windows to 're-install' the device which sometimes 'resets' its functionality. If this doesn't work, try booting to the drive; this will tell you if it's a Windows/software problem, or a possible problem with the drive itself. Have you tried the drive in Safe Mode? This can also tell you if maybe it's some type of software problem, or if it's an issue in the Windows 'core'. What about a system restore to a date before you noticed the problem? Or starting with the Last Known Good Configuration? And then there's Adrynalyne's registry fix: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=145532 This mainly applies to CD/DVD drives that have disappeared from Windows Explorer/My Computer, but it may help you too.
    So, there's some things to chew on; let us know how things go. Good luck!

3. swimmom1

swimmom1 Private E-2

ok, tried the reboot thing, ect... nothing happend. went and bought a new cd rom and the same thing. it is reading it upon boot and shows in the device manager, but still won't read anything. here is a question- i just got done with cleaning my puter up from a virus. had to delete a lot of things and change things around. it took me about 3 weeks for the stupid thing and finally a guy on here helped me out. wondering if there is something that i had to delete or change could be the culprit or not. maybe something from my software could be doing this??? seems funny that i replaced it with new one and it does the same thing- wont read, but green light flashes and you can hear it trying to read, but then nothing......it worked fine until i started the cleaning out of stuff. any thoughts???:confused

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If it does the same thing with a new drive, then the drive isn't problem. Something is wrong with Windows. Did you try any of these:
    ?????
    Booting in safe mode at this point is a real good idea. If the drive works in safe mode, then we'd know that Windows is more or less OK, and that some other software is probably blocking or stopping the drive from running correctly.

5. swimmom1

swimmom1 Private E-2

yeah i tried booting in safe mode and everything. went in to last good config and the last date is this past weekend. the problem is i had a virus and had to turn sys restore off and back on again in order to clear out any nasty files or things that was left in computer. so i'm stuck with the last week, which it didn't work then either. bought a new rom, installed it too and does the same thing. either it's the cord inside, which going to check tonight or it's a software problem. don't know which. any other ideas? by the way, its an HP computer running XP. didn't know if i posted that or not.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What happened when you booted in safe mode - not last good configuration?

7. swimmom1

swimmom1 Private E-2

ok, went in and tried both ways with safemode and reg mode. rom acts like it wants to read, green light blinks, but then nothing. installed a new rom, new cable, ect. then both at same time, ran both in both modes and still nothing. couldnt use the reconfig, because i had virus and had to start in new last config this past weekend, so the latest date on that in both modes is last weekend and rom quit before that, so that didn't help either. any other ideas?

8. swimmom1

swimmom1 Private E-2

got it fixed myself- thanks anyway-

9. teddy1955

teddy1955 Private E-2

what did you do?;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds