DVD/CDRW not working! IDEAS please!

Discussion in 'Software' started by macallister9, Jan 13, 2006.

1. macallister9

macallister9 Private E-2

HI ALL!

So, I have a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501, running XP Home. It came installed with a Matshita (Hitachi) UJDA 730 DVD/CDRW. The software has no idea that a CD is in it when I shut the tray. The compute cycles up, spins the CD, makes all the usual sounds, then says, please insert CD.

The device manager shows a yellow exclaimation point next to the DVD. Going online to update the driver (even if I Uninstall the driver and device) does nothing for it. It says a better driver could not be found. I can not do system restore, because this problem is months old.

I installed NERO burning software and uninstalled it with YOUR UNINSTALLER. This may have caused the problem. I also installed a half dozen codecs to convert files, like MPEG to AVI, and uninstalled most of them.

The Drag N' Drop CD software that came with the computer does not open to desktop. There is no DVD icon in MY COMPUTER, either.

If I open up InterVideo WinDVD it says "can't find any DVD/CDROM device."

Anyhow, I have scoured Hitachi and Microsoft for UJDA 730 drivers. None. I find 720, 750, 740, etc. I guess the only real solution is to take my computer to a friends and use his stand alone DVD/CDRW and reinstall from my Toshiba XP cd's? what would you do?

Thanks, macallister9

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

3. doctorwho2

doctorwho2 Private E-2

Hi
    Have you checked in the BIOS setting to see if your system has found the DVD\cd . Check to see if the jumper is set correctly on the back of this item , and all cables are connected corrrectly
    Cheers Doc

4. macallister9

macallister9 Private E-2

Prometheos, thanks for a great idea. Unfortunatly I was there last week (talk about a LOT of work to get to the download part!) they had everything under the sun EXCEPT the 730 driver.

UndertheSun2, you may be on to something, but I am at a loss as to how I reset my bios on a laptop. I try to F8 and do it as I have done on other computers, but I don't know how on this. My tower computer, I reset the bios by removing the watch battery for 20 seconds. I tried to download a bios program on geeks here, but none could "read" this compueters setup and I am not the best in this field. I will try to figure this out, though. Thanks

5. macallister9

macallister9 Private E-2

I mean doctorwho2. Sorry. I was going from memory. (256k)

6. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi macallister9
    As I was perusing the Toshiba support site, I came across a document listing the included items of the Toshiba Satellite 5100 series. They're called "Toshiba Product Recovery CD-ROM Set 3 CD's - Satellite 5100 Series (P/N GX0C0002N110) CD's P/N's TR02511E1CD, TR02511E2CD, TR02511E3CD" and if you've still got them, you may be able to repair your installation.
    Here's the link to the document: http://209.167.114.38/support/TechSupport/TSBs/ALL/-TSB000789.htm

7. macallister9

macallister9 Private E-2

Prometheos, Thanks! Your help is really appreciated. I'm going to go with it.

8. macallister9

macallister9 Private E-2

FOUND THE ANSWER!

Here is how I diagnosed this: Plugged in an IOMEGA CD/DROM drive (stand alone) with a USB. This did not register in my computer either, so I knew it was not my lens or all that junk. A websight said to go to Start, run, regedit:
    CurrentControlSet, Control, Class, then {4d36e965-e3235-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} really just look for the 965 after the 4d36 and forget all the other numbers. click on the 4d36e965, open it and delete (yes, delete) the "upperfilters" and "lowerfilters." reboot and your dvd/cdrw will be up and running hopefully. Remember to back up your registry before you do this! ( I purchased CleanMyPC Registry Cleaner off of Majorgeeks and it does a great job) so. this should work. The next step that I was told worked very well for many was to visit: www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts/xp_cd_dvd_fix.vbs but I did not have to try it because, obviously, my problem was fixed. Thanks all.

Bob

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

10. macallister9

macallister9 Private E-2

I had installed Nero oem suite and also ConvertMovie 1.1.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds