DVD/CDRW Reads CDs, but doesn't DVD anymore...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RoxnRoll, Mar 1, 2006.

1. RoxnRoll

RoxnRoll Private E-2

I have a Toshiba SD-R1002 Combo DVD/CDRW drive, which has been working perfectly for ages. Today, I try to install a program from a DVD Rom, and the drive will not read the disc...it will not read Movie DVDs either.

It was working fine with dvds until today: the only real difference is that I changed the graphics card (To a Pinnacle/ATi Radeon 8500DV) - however I don't think the two incidents are related. Removing the graphics card, drivers and going back to the old card doesn't make a difference.

The odd thing is that it still reads CD Roms perfectly. I've tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, but that doesn't work.

When a DVD is in the drive, the drive light and the 'Searching' icon comes up at bit like this:

look....look....look....look....look....

It doesn't say that it can't find a disk - in fact, once it said that the disk in drive D: hadn't been formatted - it's a perfectly fine commerical DVD ROM (magazine coverdisc) which works on my other computer.

The computer is a PIII 1mhz, 512mb RAM, Windows XP.

Ideas would be appreciated! :)

2. emartin1984

emartin1984 Private E-2

same with me any ideas?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds