DVD drive - Device Manager Error code 19 ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeoFan, Oct 17, 2004.

1. GeoFan

GeoFan Private First Class

OOPS... I installed "123 DVD Copy" from DOWNLOAD.com and tried it. My ROXIO CD/DVD software would no longer recognize my CD/DVD drive. After the trial period expired, I uninstalled "123 DVD Copy" via the uninstaller. It appears to have munched my registry... now, whenever I try to access the DVD drive (my only CDROM drive) I cannot, it seems invisible.

When I run the Windows 2000 Pro "Add/Remove Hardware" wizard, using Troubleshoot... it locates my DVD drive, but shows a yellow exclamation warning... When I select the drive, it says Device status: "Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)...

Other than reinstalling Windows 2000 Pro, the drive itself, and Roxio, a drastic move, are there any suggestions for healing this, and getting Windows 2k and my Roxio software to recognize my internal IDE CD/DVD burner again?

What is a safe/easy procedure for fixing a Win2k registry problem like this one?

By the way, every time I reboot my PC it takes a few hours... it is 60x slower than normal. Appears that some device or driver is flodding the bus with traffic... Eventually, it heals itself, but no joy on any access to the CD/DVD drive.

HELP???

2. GeoFan

By the way, I am a bit averse to try rebooting since it takes a few hours...

Besides the Win2k Install CD, I have a Norton Systemworks 2002 and another CD "Speedy Boot Disk" that claims to be able to help me edit my registry... BUT... I am not sure how to force my Compaq Deskpro to reboot from the CD ROM drive? F8??? I have another partition on the hard drive that should be bootable, but I cannot remember how to force selection of a boot drive or boot partiton... ???

3. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Roxio...say no more...........maybe.

CD - Rom Error Codes (Possibly applies to DVD as well)

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP

Resolution
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.
    NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

7. Restart your computer.

4. GeoFan

5. GeoFan

6. GeoFan

WOW!

Changed UpperFilters.bak to UpperFilters

Changed UpperFilters to UpperFilters.zzz

Similar for LowerFilters

KEWL!!!

Win2K now boots in just one minute!!! Down from two hours!!!

I can read from the CDROM too!!!

WOO HOO!!!

* :cool:

7. GeoFan

Thanks, Hipster Doofus !!!

Certainly looks like my problems were caused by GEARAspiWDM ... and/or ElbyDelay ... in the registry.

Wondering where THOSE things came from? Perhaps left behind when I uninstalled something, maybe 123 copy DVD, or maybe something else that same day ... Roxio CD/DVD Creator tools seemed AOK before then ...

I can now reboot VERY quickly, and I can also read and write my DVD burner via Roxio again! Time for a backup!!!

Lesson learned -- backup the registry BEFORE installing any EVALUATION software!!!

8. GeoFan

Just for the record, the

ElbyDelay ...

looks like it came from Elaborate Bytes... CloneDVD... I had tried that tool also.

GearASPI ...

looks like it came from GEAR DVD ... also used by other DVD tools ...

SO, I cannot be sure if it was the installer/uninstaller for 123 DVD Copy, or CloneDVD, or another one that screwed up my registry...

Maybe 123 DVD Copy was NOT the culprit after all...

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

You have a lot of patience to wait that long for boot up. I would have thrown it out the window. :D

Good to hear it is behaving again.

10. bnose

bnose Private E-2

Any chance you can give me the steps for XP? I have the same problem with my CD and DVD Drives. with the little yellow exclamation warning, and it also says code 19, thanks

11. bnose

bnose Private E-2

I looked at your home page hipster doofus and saw that it was the same for xp so I fixed the problem and it worked, thanks for haveing an informative site.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds