DVD Drive disappered

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SuperATM, Apr 13, 2009.

1. SuperATM

SuperATM Private E-2

Hi all,

I have recently been having troubles with my DVD drive that came with my computer from Dell.
    The s*** hit the fan when I mounted something to a virtual drive using PowerISO. It mounted properly but when I unmounted it my real DVD drive disappeared. Went straight to Device Manager and it had a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark next to my DVD drive, presuming this wasn't desirable I looked at its properties - Error code 39.
    Tried to update the driver and it said it had the most recent driver.
    Uninstalled the driver (please don't ask why) - Nothing really changed except the error code is now 28.
    Looked on Dell and Samsung Support sites and they offered no support but I did find some samsung update program - SFDNWIN3.27.11 ??
    When it runs it just says "DRIVE NOT FOUND!!"
    I tried to install driver through Vista it finds the driver then says it can't install - The I/0 operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

My System-
    Inspiron 530
    - Vista x64 (came from Dell with x32)
    - TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-H653B ATA Device
    - ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
    - Intel Core II Quad

Just ask if you need any more info!
    I AM QUIET WILLING TO GET RID OF x64 SO IF A RE-INSTALL IS ON THE MENU JUST ASK!
    Right now i can't really re-install due to a malfunctioning DVD drive....

Thanks!:confused

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

The first thing I'd try is a system restore to a date before the problem started. If that doesn't help, follow the steps in this thread and use the Vista download at the bottom of the page....
    :-D

Good luck!

3. SuperATM

SuperATM Private E-2

The links in the thread you gave me are broken dlb :(
    Thanks anyway

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You're right.... I have emailed the admins and hopefully the links will be fixed soon.
    Sorry.
    :(

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The guy who wrote that thread (MG member Adrynalyne) has the files for download at his blog. Here's the link to the Vista fix: http://cid-ab9de24be9af1b9f.skydriv...ic/RegHacks/Fixes/Vista Optical Drive Fix.zip
    Click the small "Download" in the upper left of the page (you'll see "Embed" listed next to "Download"), or simply click on the big folder icon with the zipper on it (it will be right above the word "Comments").
    I hope this helps!

6. SuperATM

SuperATM Private E-2

hmm... i added the fil to the reg. but it didn't do anything... the .zip I downloaded was named Vista Optical Drive Fix.zip but the file inside was called xpcd.reg... hmmm xp...

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The reg file for XP and Vista is the same, that's why it's called 'xpcd.reg'. Here's how I usually fix CD/DVD drives that are acting up: I go to the Device Manager, right click the CD/DVD drive with the yellow ! exclamation point, and select 'Uninstall', then merge the .reg file in to the registry, then restart the PC.

8. SuperATM

SuperATM Private E-2

I think its already uninstalled and merging the reg did nothing :(
    Will a complete re-install of Vista solve my problem coz i am going to do it

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Did you restart the PC after merging the reg file?
    Have you tried a system restore to a date before the problem started?

And, yes, a re-install should fix the problem as long as the drive is physically and mechanically sound. If you can boot to a CD, then we know the drive is working. If you can't boot to a disk, then we know the drive is dead.

10. SuperATM

SuperATM Private E-2

Thanks dlb for all your help!
    If I don't post back here just presume all went well with the reinstall :)
    I have already collected the mandatory files off my computer and put them on the other drive.
    Will do a clean install of Windows Vista Home Premium 32BIT SP1

Moral of the story: x64 is crap to date (18th of April 2009) x32 wins the game

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds