DVD drive ghost

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ragexzero, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ragexzero

ragexzero Private E-2

Im having some trouble with my DVD drive. It seems to open randomly and without a reason and it wont close.

The problem will go away randomly and then out of the blue, it happens again (I think the problem returns when someone tries to use the drive, but then it goes away again after a few more uses of the computer).

When it does open, it opens as soon as you turn on the computer, before it even boots, so the possible cause of some software triggering the eject, is probably not whats going on.

Ive read online that the drive might be damaged and needs to be replaced. But Im wondering why it only opens when someone tries to use it, and then it goes away.

Thanks for any help.

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Does there seem to be any obstruction and or gunk around the open button?

3. ragexzero

ragexzero Private E-2

Nope, no gunk or anything around the button.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Bold Eagle's suggestion makes the most sense. A sticky button would explain everything.

Usually, a DVD drive would automatically close during bootup so that the computer could check if there is a disc in the drive. That it is opening (the exact opposite) had me confused but pushing the open/close button would of course make this happen. Since it happens after someone uses it a "sticky" button seems the most likely.

Not sure about cleaning it. I haven't done it recently if ever. I would think no power to the drive and rubbing alcohol and a Q-Tip. Maybe someone can give advice because I think cleaning is the most likely fix.

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You say 'opens randomly', but then say 'when someone tries to use it'

Please study the conditions under which the problem occurs and report more explicitly.

You also say it 'goes away again'.

What exactly do do mean?

I say this because there are various reasons for unexpected drive openings,

from a virus ...to a stuck operation button... to a worn activation rack to...

6. ragexzero

ragexzero Private E-2

It used to open randomly, but now it seems it only opens after someone tries to use it or burn a disc with it. Sorry if I didnt make myself clear before.

I think the drive is damaged cuz I tried to get it to read an installation CD for a router, and it was making weird noises and couldnt read it. But it seems my dad is not convinced it doesnt work, and periodically tries to use it again, bringing the problem of random openings again. (I shouldnt say random either tho, cuz its like clockwork, it opens as soon as you turn the PC on).

So after someone tries to use the drive, then it opens when you turn on the computer, but then after a few more cycles of turning the PC on and off, the problem goes away.

Hope that was a better explanation of the problem.

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

As you say, it sounds mechanical inside the drive.

A new drive would be cheaper than a repair.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds