DVD drive not recognizing blank DVDs...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mfarro07, Nov 14, 2009.

1. mfarro07

mfarro07 Private E-2

My DVD drive seems to be acting weird. I've never tried to actually Burn a DVD so I never noticed this before, but now it is really annoying me since I can't figure out what is wrong.

When there isn't a Blank DVD in the drive it shows up as DVD / CD-RW Drive. When I do put in a Blank DVD it suddenly becomes a CD Drive. It still played a DVD just fine so the issue is something to do with the Writing part. Also, the "Write these files to CD" actually IS available as if I was trying to do just that yet I'm not. Meaning instead of saying "Please insert disc into Drive E", it actually goes to the drive and has that as an option which it clearly shouldn't since no disc is actually in the drive....

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the drives from the Device Manager and that did not fix the problem. Then I tried finding updating drivers and that did not help either. THEN I actually did a complete System Recovery that was supposed to be to Factory Default settings and delete anything I put on there or changed myself. This did not fix the problem either.

Then I tried to use the Windows FixIt or whatever that thing was called and it ended up saying my drive could not Write yet the stupid thing is called HP DVD Writer 300c. In the properties everything shows up as working properly, but it obviously doesn't.

I've searched around and everything I have tried has not worked. So I'm hoping someone can give me some more suggestions as to what could be wrong and how I should go about fixing it.

My OS is Windows XP fully updated with the Service Packs.
    The DVD drive in question is HP DVD Writer 300c.

I'll take any help I can get and will provide any additional information that is needed.

2. DejayT

DejayT Private E-2

What type of blank dvd are you trying to burn? -r, or +r?

Does the drive support the format you are using? There's not much info available about this drive but from what I can see looks like it will only burn on +r.

If you are using +r, try -r.

If that fails the drive may be the problem.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  3. da.bell

da.bell Private First Class

How old is the DVD drive? I've had issues that the drive is old and needs to be replace.

But again, that is what I got for buying the cheap equipment also

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Double check the cable to the motherboard from the drive is securely connected also if you have a spare IDE ribbon cable try that as at times the cable can go bad and cause issues like this.

Then dont know what the FixIt thing you tried likely the Upper Lower Filter fix, but if it was or was not still do this again from these instructions HERE

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found this info
    What burning software are you using?

If you never burned a DVD with the drive before, it could have been broken when new.

6. mfarro07

mfarro07 Private E-2

I technically wasn't using any burning software. But I have RecordNow that came on the computer.

When I first attempted to fix the problem I tried to uninstall/reintall the IDE Channel things which someone on a different site said could be a problem, I went to restart my computer and it suddenly went into a Restart loop. It wouldn't go into Safe Mode or Last Good Configurations or anything. So my only choice was to do a System Recovery (not from a Restore Point). The first time I did it, I just did the regular System Recovery. It restored all the factory defaults but kept my stuff on there. It did not fix the problem.

The second time I did it, I did a complete system recovery and it still did not fix the problem.

Also, you know how usually when you insert any kind of disc if it doesn't have some AutoPlay feature it will ask you what programs you want to run it with or whatever....well it doesn't do that at all.

New info: I was trying it with a DVD-R and it was doing as I explained in my original post. I just now put in a DVD+R and it brought up the "What do you want Windows to do?" options. But it is reading it as a Blank CD, and is still labeled CD Drive (E).

When NO disc is inserted it reads like it is supposed to as "DVD/CD-RW Drive E". And when I click on it instead of it saying "Please insert disc into Drive E", it actually "opens" and has the option to "Write these files to CD" even though there is clearly nothing there and NO disc is even inserted.

There is a process running called DVDTray.exe (Owner) which I never remember seeing in the past. I looked it up and it seems like it is a non-issue....and probably not the cause of the problem. I ended the process and it still didn't fix the issue, unless maybe I completely disallow the process to start on a restart and see if that works but I haven't tried yet.

Also I remember I have made a DVD-R and DVD-RW in the past using this drive for some class projects. So either the writer part of it somehow randomly died or I have some unknown system issues that I can't seem to figure out.

I opened the computer up and didn't see anything wrong and used some compressed air to clear out any dust. I also followed the directions in that link with the registry fix and that didn't solve the problem either.

Also, I don't know if it is related or not, but when I go to the Safely Remove Hardware....it is detecting a USB Mass Storage Device even though nothing is plugged into any of the USB ports on the front or back. Since I did the Complete System Recovery I have not plugged in any other USB things except for an External Hard Drive to recover some of my files. When I plugged that in it was completely separate from the one that is still showing up.

I think the burner part of it somehow died even though I rarely use it and I can't do anything to fix it.

I appreciate all the help though.

7. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi,

Could it be that it's a DVD Reader and CD Read/Writer? That might explain the difference between a DVD and a Blank DVD. Check it out. Maybe?

Good Luck, Jim

8. mfarro07

mfarro07 Private E-2

I wish that was the case but no. Right on the front of the drive it says HP DVD Writer / CD Writer Combo and the drive below that says CD-Rom. And I have made at least 1 DVD in the past using the drive.

I just think it somehow died, it is fairly old but I didn't really use it....As long as it can still read CDs / DVDs and rip my CD's I guess i'll be ok.

9. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again,

I didn't think that would be the case. NewEgg has decent DVD/CD Sata Burners for 26 bucks and were giving free shipping several weeks ago. Mine is Lite-on and looks great. That one is "Bulk" which means it comes with no manual or cables. Others can be had for around 30 bucks and up.

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds