dvd drive will not even detect some disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kityarah, Apr 22, 2010.

1. kityarah

kityarah Private E-2

Ok I had both of these games installed before and they worked fine.
    I have even tried doing a complete wipe of my laptop. I have 2 disks that it will not even detect that there is a disk there (please insert a disk).

Every other disk works fine, and both of these have been installed on this computer before (and both disks read fine in other computers in the house). Even burned discs are being read.

The disks that it will not detect are SIMS 3 and Viva Pinata. (I know there were a lot of people with the same issue with SIMS 3, but EA support has been no help).

Here is my DxDiag if it helps any. I need to know what I can/should do. Is there something I need to update, or is the whole drive going to need to be replaced? Or????

Thank you in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2010
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try this HERE and delete the upper and lower filters, you may need if your CD
    /DVD bruning applicaiton doesnt recognise the drive, to re-install that software again, but in the main its a media application like CD/DVD burning or video application that can cause this occurance.

Check the disks for damage also as over time disks can become scratched and marked, that can cause read issues.

3. kityarah

kityarah Private E-2

Well I thought uninstalling a program might have worked, but it appears it did not. I am not sure what filters you mean as I do not see anything like that, and the thing that I ran from that link shows nothing either except it did not fix it. Had my brother-in-law look at it too and he could not figure out what filters either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds