DVD drives don't like reading dvds and more!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dark_Oppressor, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Dark_Oppressor

Dark_Oppressor Private First Class

Ok, I just built a new computer. I'll start off by laying out my specs for you:

ASUS V8N SLI
    Athlon X2 4400+
    2 gigs pc400
    80 GB ide hdd
    200 GB ide hdd
    DVD+-RW sata
    DVD-ROM regular type
    Audigy 2 ZS
    eVGA Geforce 7900 gt

I've installed Windows XP Pro on the 200 gig hdd, and the 80 gig hdd has all my files backed up on it. I am almost done reinstalling all my games and programs, but have come across several problems.

1. My dvd drives were running fine, but now they randomly stop reading the dvds that are in them(even in the middle of an installation from a dvd) They then say that no dvd is in the drive, and I have to play around in the Device Manager for a while to get them to suddenly realize they have dvds in them again. I think this problem began right after I disabled a lot of programs in msconfig, so maybe a program is needed to make the drives run properly, but what could be required? There are no programs specifically for the drives, that much I know.

2. Yahoo Messenger will not install, I run the installer, it downloads the files it needs, and then it tells me it is installed. I look at the folder, and it has only 1 file, in the Common folder, yverinfo.dll. I have tried everything I can think of, it just won't install.

3. I seem to be having a LOT of problems with various .exe files, lots of them are apparently "corrupt" or crash when I try to run them(I downloaded and tested them on another XP computer just days before building this system, I know they are fine)
    I was a XP Home user until today, and I only had Service Pack 1. Is there anything I need to know about XP Pro or Service Pack 2 that might be causing me problems?

2. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hate to say it but maybe you should start again, config everything first before stripping potentially imp proc. You've got 1.5Gb of RAM which is more than adequate for avg use?!? It is beyond me personally but there is obviously at least 1 cruicial process that is not appaerent any more.

3. Dark_Oppressor

Dark_Oppressor Private First Class

I figured it out; I uninstalled Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator and Roxio DVD Max and my problem is solved! Well, that problem anyway :p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds