DVD playback on PC (WMP, Quicktime, iTunes don't work)

Discussion in 'Software' started by AllyCat, Dec 5, 2010.

1. AllyCat

AllyCat Private E-2

I'm having trouble with Windows Media Player (and everything else I have for watching a DVD). Anytime I try to watch a movie on the computer that is from a pre-recorded DVD, I get an error in WMP that says I need a decoder. I've never needed a decoder before. I just loaded version 11 hoping it would make a difference, but still get the same message. The decoder (which I can, of course, buy from them) costs like $15-25.

I've tried to run movies on Quick Time and iTunes, but they can't find the media and won't work.

I'm running on an older Dell with XP SP3.

Any ideas what is wrong and why I can't play movies anymore? Our DVD player remote died and this is the only way I have to watch anything.

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

3. AllyCat

AllyCat Private E-2

No preference, but I've never really liked WMP, just didn't know what else to use. Are either of the other ones decent? I use iTunes for music playback and really only want a DVD player. Thanks for the help!

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds