DVD Program Not Working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-9aee479f8f, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

My desktop came with Sonic MyDVD Plus loaded on it. It worked at one time but has not worked for some time. I contacted them and they no longer have Tech Support for this product.

I need help. When I try to open Sonic MyDVD I get a error message saying "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package "MyDVD.MSI" in the box below. Use source:c:\hp\tem\src\"

I have searched and do not find any files to install. After I try to open Sonic MyDVD Plus it takes several times of hitting cancel to close it. It will just keep trying to open and showing the same error messages.

If I uninstall the Sonic DVD program I need a good free program to handle apps that the Sonic handles like playing and recording CDs and DVDs.
    Any suggestions?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version are you using?

Do unhide files as HP are prone to hiding the folders with installer files, Folder Options > View tab and choose Show hidden files and folders > apply and check again.

If not then CDBurnerXP is one of my fav free apps, dispite the name it works in Vista and Windows 7 also.

3. Anon-9aee479f8f

Windows XP
    I have already checked the show hidden folders.

Also if I try to play a video file someone sends me in email it tries to open Sonic. I set it to use Windows Media but it goes right back to Sonic next time.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You could try going to HP.com and Support page and find your model of PC. Then look at the downloads and see if SonicDVD software is listed. It would give you a fresh installation of Sonic which should work properly.

Edit: I don't where I got that you had Hp/Compaq so disregard if I got that wrong about your PC manufacturer.

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

Hi katkat, are you using AVG-free as your anti-virus?

I only ask as it is a bugger for deleting/quarantine needed files and entries, and this sounds like a prime candidate to me.

Q

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you have a Driver/Utility disc (or do you still have the facility to create one) for your HP, maybe you'd find the Sonic installer there.
    Check via Msconfig's Startup tab to see if Sonic is loading something that hogs the file association.

Halo suggested using CDBurnerXP as a replacement burning app, Gom player does a fine job of playback, even if the file is damaged.

7. Anon-9aee479f8f

I do use AVG.
    The only things checked to load at start up are AVG, Zone Alarm, and ctfmon.
    I do not have the Driver/Utility CD. I tried to created a Recovery Tools CD . It said it created one but when I put the CD in it just ejects it without showing anything.

If I go to all programs, PC Help & Tools, HP Application Recovery and click on it nothing happens.

8. ~Q~

I've seen it a few times, and while i agree that ther are worse culprits *cough*McAfee*cough* i have seen AVG affect burning a few times before, and as it turned out, he does use AVG (coincidence?)

Katkat, i suggest you install imgburn, and run it as if to burn a disc and see what that says about your drive http://majorgeeks.com/ImgBurn_d4870.html

It is a disc burning app' but it is a very clever little app' that might reveal something :)

EDIT: when you run it it will show a plain text log screen underneath.

Q

9. Anon-9aee479f8f

So should I just un-install Sonic? It seems to be the simplest solution but replace it with "What"?
    I just want something easy and not loaded up with apps I most likely would never use or want to learn how to use.

My basic needs are to record CD/DVDs and play DVDs.

10. ~Q~

What exactly do you think most people would do (if they havn't got it set to deal with it auto) when ther AV says *this file may be dangerous* do you want to keep it or delete it?

And it wont have caused it "out of the blue" it will have caused it the instant AVG decided for whatever backwater reason that some key entry is a risk and either dealt with it itself or gave the user an option to >> see above.

I do agree my opinion is not scientific at all, hell it was a raw hunch as soon as i read the post my gut just said "AVG"

As for this bit.

Well what do you think i brought it up for?

Maybe seeing if the guy remembers quarantining something or AVG saying it had dealt with something? and maybe we can get it sorted.

And when it comes to FP's it is not all about the raw numbers, it is also about how the prog presents them, Avira for instance is quite good at pointing out that it might be wrong, AVG isn't.

Also if you dont agree with me, how about giving a better explanation than my coincidental, gut feeling.

Although i couldnt agree more that ther are better alternantives to this sonic software.

Q

EDIT: the one Halo mentioned is a good allrounder.
    (i use it to make my Audio CD's)

11. ~Q~

For reference here is the list of the burning app's i use...

For creating DVD's for a normal DVD player i use WinAvi (not free) to create the .VOB files.

Then i use Imgburn (free) to create and burn the .ISO file from the VOB's.

For AUDIO CD's i use the CDBurnerXP(free) Halo linked to above to create and burn them.

And for my Data CD/DVD's i use Infrarecorder.(free) http://majorgeeks.com/InfraRecorder_d6206.html

Q

EDIT: and i use VLC to watch everything, it does truly kick the stuffing out of most other players when it comes to just working.

12. Anon-9aee479f8f

I installed VLC and now Spyware Terminator is showing numerous PLUGIN.DLL's every time I try to use VLC and asking if I want it to block or allow. There are so many it is just plain annoying.
    I can't find a simple way to just allow everything from VLC nor do I know if I should.
    Is there something better than Spy Terminator I should use? Something free with real time protection?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds