DVD ROM and CD-RW drives not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Comicguy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

Today I wanted to try to watch some movies and backup a website I have been working onto CDR's, but they won't work.

I suspected a problem for months since my sister keeps trying to burn music CD's but that no longer works.

When you put the CDRW's into the drive it makes some clunky noises and doesn't go as smoothly as it should.

For playing DVD's, I put them in, and the busy light comes on twice but that's it.

I have gone in under Control Panel>System and it both says they are functioning properly.

My @$$ they are...

Any suggestions?

2. g1lgam3sh

g1lgam3sh MajorGeek

Check cables, jumpers, Master/Slave and mobo connections.

3. ASA

ASA Private E-2

Mabey a new app. or program was installed that conflicted
    w/ or changed file assosiations or driver of your burn program. It would'nt hurt a thing to uninstall burn prog. then reboot & reinstall burn prog.
    Also look in Management, SERVICES and see that IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service , is set at Automatic

4. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

Could you tell me where I can get to the Management>Services Section?

Also, here is some more info on the DVD ROM Drive and CDRW Drives

When I right click on them in My Computer and hit Eject they come out. Also, I removed the DVD ROM drive, and rebooted and Windows picked it up again, but changed the letter from D to M. I just did that recently before you guys responded. I saw a suggestion somewhere else to do it.

Also, when I go into Device Manager, and click each drive, this is what it says under Settings.

DVD Rom Drive -

Disconnect is checked, Auto Insert Notification is Checked, and DMA is checked. Sync Datea transfer is NOT checked.

For the CDRW drive all of the above mentioned are checked.

Are there any tests I could do?

I have to admit I did install WinDVD and a program called DVD Region + CSS Free so I could play other region DVD's..

I'm not sure how to check cables, buses, or any of that stuff. My mom said she burned a data cd a few weeks ago without any problems..

5. ASA

ASA Private E-2

To access Management-Services, right click on, MY COMPUTER, scroll down to select MANAGEMENT. Computer Management window will open in Explorer view, maximize the window, then at bottom left pane click on plus sign of SERVICES and APPLICATIONS and select SERVICES. It should open & display listings with the Extended tab view. You will find the status of IMAPI CD-Burning COM. Click on it to display it's function and see that it is, Started, and set at Automatic.

6. ASA

ASA Private E-2

It may be helpful to test the DVD-drive using the valuable System information tool, SISoftware, Sandra Standard, which the MAJOR Graciously offers us in his Combat Arsenal of Applications. You should already be loaded with many of them to be an efficent PC Soldier. Load this appliction to your PC and be sure to have a DVD disk in the drive before you launch the apps. informational gathering loading process. When the One Tool That Does it All presents its findings, select the modual to display its status.

7. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

Ok, I'll check that out.

@ the Management thing..I'm on Windows ME and I can't find it.

I might have to go a diferent route than this. I right click, then hit explore, but it just opens up explorer.

8. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

I tried installing SisSandra, but it says Windows NT has to be installed and won't let me install it.

Looks like I am really fighting an up hill battle. I can't think of any reason why these aren't functioning properly.

9. ASA

ASA Private E-2

I errored, by ASSuming your system ran XP. I saw that you had indeed, recently install WinDVD & the Regional access, CSS free . Troubleshooting most often involes removing suspected contributers of ilk, One-at-a-Time, untill syptom disappears. Geeks with higher rank have the wisdom to solve malfunction on the first or second try, however we may muddle through a dozen blind hunches to solve our problem. That will also lead us some day to a higher understanding. You will susceed!!!

10. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

No man, you are really helping me out.

I have some new info for you..

I put in a Data Disc CDR..it reads that.

I put in a music CD..it plays it!

So the problem is with DVD's only.. for the DVD Player. I can't play DVD's of any region code.

So any suggestions with this new info

I would rather get this fixed first then move onto the CD Burner problem. I uninstalled the burner program for it since we last talked and I'm going to try to find a better one somewhere to see if that helps.

11. Comicguy

Comicguy Private E-2

I tried something out..

I noticed that it was reading my DVD ROM drive as a CD ROM drive..

So I reset the BIOS to default..

It still thinks it is a CD ROM drive, but it actually reads the DVD's now. It doesn't play them but it knows they are in there and I can open the disc and see the audio and video file folders..

Any suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds