DVD ROM fails writing disks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deepat, Jan 24, 2013.

1. deepat

deepat Private First Class

Hey

Having trouble burning music. DVD ROM is Lite-On DVD/RW. Can burn videos OK (DVD+R) but can't seem to manage CD-R disks. I tried the Microsoft fixit, but didn't improve anything.

MS Win XP pro SP3. It has been failing for a while now, just finally decided to do something about it. Any one suggest something?.........Thanks

D

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Try buying a different brand of CD-R discs. If this doesn't work, your best best is just to replace the drive. I'd go with an ASUS; about $20 at NewEgg.com.

Hope this helps. :)

3. deepat

I'll try that...........

Cheers

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What software are you using to burn the music?
    What format is the music in (MP3, WMA, AAC etc)?
    I would if you have not already try this free software HERE and see if that will burn your music ok, as you can burn video, so should not be a hardware issue.

What Fixit did you try? was it this one HERE if it was or not, try it again and reboot once done and test.

5. deepat

I was using that CDBurnerXP, just updated it to the newer version there. It was the same fixit program too, it says that the drive is not capable of burning. I was thinking along similar lines - if it can burn videos then it should burn music as well.

I've used deepburner too, with the same problem. On this occassion MP3's.

Be interesting to find out whats going on!

Thanks alot.

D

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, deepat...

Most modern optical drives use two different lasers and associated circuitry (one system for CDs and one for DVDs) - so it's quite possible for your hardware to be exhibiting those symptoms. If the software fixes have not panned out I suggest trying a new burner.

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Do you get any errors during the burning process?

I'd be tempted to go with Caliban's assessment and try a new burner or a spare one (could see if a friend has a spare you an try, just to rule out something else before buying a new burner, although they are fairly cheap these days for a good one).

8. deepat

Hi

The device is ldw-811S. Released I think in 2003. It is a DVD dual rewriter, I havn't found any mention of seperate lazers.......

Don't get any errors!

Thanks

D

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

For a device that came out 10 years ago, it used one laser to burn CDs and another to burn DVDs. It was possible for one of the lasers to burn out so you'd be able to burn one type of disc and not the other.
    Scroll down to see the two lasers here
    http://www.die4laser.com/dvd-rec/DissectionofaDVDwriter.htm

Either replace it or go the easy route and by an external burner that connects to two USB ports with a Y-type USB connector.

10. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

You're definitely overdue for a new burner. Everything wears out. Check out the hardware recommendations on Doom9, CDFreaks, & Afterdawn.

11. deepat

Thanks, explains alot.

The unit makes alot of noise when its trying to get started and do the job.

On a second thought.....I used a sony cd-r (only one spare) to burn a disk yesterday. A rescue disk. Not sure which laser is used for this function. :confused Finished it OK tho.

12. tomcat99

tomcat99 Private E-2

HI,
    I have exactly the same problem but only with Verbatim discs. They suggested that I update the firmware but I cant find where to get it. I have used their -R discs for ages but recently they have gone from 10% duds to only writing half a disc maximum. They have just sent me a spool of 100 discs but the results are the same. However when I use TDK or Phillips discs there is no problem. Small print on their labels state that their discs only work on new updated burners. As I live in Spain where most computers are relatively old I think that they will loose a lot of customers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds