dvd rom fitting problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mak, Jan 10, 2005.

1. mak

mak Private E-2

hi ppl
    i got a dvd rom for christmas and tried fitting it today
    but i have only 2 ide cables 1 goes into my cd rom and the other goes into the floppy disc
    i thought about getting another cable but when i looked at my mobo it only has 2 slots for ide cables
    so i was wondering if its ok to disconnect the floppy ide cable and put it on my dvd rom
    if so should i disconnect everything from the floppy or just the ide cable

also i have this power cable http://www.dvworkshop.co.uk/Computer/Adding_Drives___Cards/CD_or_DVD_Drive/cd_or_dvd_drive.html
    its plugged into my cd rom but the other lead from it hangs loose i was wondering if i could put the part thats just hanging there into my dvd power slot
    it makes sense but didnt want to try it without asking first

any help would be appreciated

i have a msi 645e max-u (ms-6547 v2.x) atx mainboard

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

You should have a separate cable from your motherboard for your floppy disc drive, and then an ide cable for your hard drive and an idea cable for your cd rom drive. Your ide cable for your hard drive should have 2 ide connectors, one connecting to your hard drive and then one not being used. Your cd rom drive should be using one ide cable and then have a spare it shouldn't be in the floppy disc drive. Also, the power connectors you mentioned are molex connectors and the spare one you said can be used to power up your dvd rom. However I would probably take out your cdrom and replace it with the dvd rom drive.

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

floppies use their own cord not an IDE cable ... I'd set the DVD drive as master and the CD drive as slave if you really still wanted to use the CD drive for whatever reason ... but it would be easier to just replace it

4. mak

mak Private E-2

yeah i think i'll do that

thanks guy's

5. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

What Pyrate says is right, and to add one thing it's probably so you have one IDE cable going from mobo > harddrive > cd rom. In that case you need a second cable. Just go from mobo > dvd rom with that and you should be fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds