DVD-Rom scratches the top of my discs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by usmctribe, Dec 6, 2009.

1. usmctribe

usmctribe Private E-2

Basically the headline says it all. The DVD Rom/ burner still works, however it makes an extremely loud grinding noise when reading the discs. It also scratches the top of the disc. I’m trying to figure out if there is a way to fix it or if I should just replace it. I would like to try the cheaper rout first. Any suggestions or tips will help?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, usmctribe...

Make sure there's nothing foreign in the tray mechanism - grab a can of compressed air if possible, open the tray, and clean out the bay...even something as insignificant as a dustball can jam some drives...

What make/model is the drive?

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Personally I would replace the drive. They only cost about £20 for a decent one these days.

4. usmctribe

usmctribe Private E-2

Its a Toshiba Satelite A205 Laptop drive. Is a dvd rw +/- recorder.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Agreed with collinsl: if there's no obvious fix, it's not worth the time and effort...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds