DVD-Rom starts up and then stops

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dan_The_Man, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

I know I need a new DVD-Rom...that much is certain, but I just want to ascertain the problem I'm dealing with.

I have a DVD-ROM that is currently installing a 1500Mb program. It keeps starting up, and then slowing down (spinning the CD), and starting up again, and then just slowing down. The time it took me to write this sentence it has done it twice now. It's taking FOREVER to install my program! Is this a power supply problem or do I need a new driver?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sounds normal to me ....system copies some files then installs, copies some more, processes and installs ....does it play dvd? cd? music/video?

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

They all do that (and it's a pretty big file at 1.5 GB's), but if it's not finishing, or it's taking forever, then it could be the disc is scratched or damaged, the file is corrupt, or your DVD drive needs cleaning.

If it installs OK, don't worry about it. Reading files from CD/DVD discs is extremely slow compared to hard drives.

That's especially so when it's a 1.5GB file.

4. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Actually it must have been the driver. I found an old Asus 50xmax up in my bro's room. Installed it in a bay and it did the job in waaaay less time. Only when it starts up you get the impression the computer is getting ready to fly off since the fan seems to make more noise than your average local airport! j/k.

5. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It's not the driver. Windows has native support for all optical drives, and uses very basic files.

There is no difference in the drivers or files it uses for the different brands of CD/DVD drives.

Different drives uses different lasers, and some can pick up media better than others.

If the drive is constantly having problems, try a lens cleaner or different media.

6. Dan_The_Man

Dan_The_Man Private E-2

Yea it must have been the lense...I haven't used one of those cleaners in ages.

I didn't mean the installation drivers, I meant the whole dvdrom unit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds