DVD ROM will not read CDs or DVDs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by swede109, Mar 3, 2009.

1. swede109

swede109 Private E-2

Hello
    A while ago I discovered that my DVDROM wasn't reading discs. It kept saying 'insert disc and try again'. Even after a cleaning CD it still wouldn't read.
    I bought another DVDROM and installed. The problem still persists.
    I checked to make sure all wiring was correct.

I have two ROMS;

LiteOn ATAPI DVD C DH52C2P
    SONY CD-RW CRX320E

The Sony drives works well. The LiteOn does not.

The IT guys at work say this sounds like a 'software' problem.
    What does this mean and what steps do I need to take to figure this out?
    Could this be a driver issue?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3
    2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    250.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    1536 Megabytes Installed Memory
    Board: K8T800-8237
    ATAPI DVD C DH52C2P [CD-ROM drive]
    SONY CD-RW CRX320E [CD-ROM drive]
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GS [Display adapter]

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Arew the jumpers for master and slave correct?

3. swede109

swede109 Private E-2

yes, the top cd drive is master and the bottom dvd drive is slave.

4. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

There should not be a driver problem, as most DVD-ROM drives use generic drivers. However, please open up device manager and see if there are any ?s or Xs on any devices.
    Whilst you are there, please also expand the "optical drive" (or similar) area (click on the little + in a box next to the name) and see if both your drives are listed there.

To open device manager: Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab and click on the "Device manager" button.

5. swede109

swede109 Private E-2

Hi Collins
    Well I believe I have discovered what the issue is..
    After doing some digging on forums it seems that the Roxio Easy Creator v7.5 is not compatable with IE 7, along with Windows Media Player v11, where it relates to DVD burning. I can burn on a CD-R Ok on the D: drive, but cannot burn DVDs on the E: drive. Roxio keeps saying to insert a disc..

I was able to get Windows to see both D: and E: drives, but I can't burn DVDs.
    So, I will upgrade to Roxio EMC 9 or 10. I need to do that anyway.
    The work around to this, I'm told, is to roll back IE to IE6 and roll back WMP to an older version. I think its wiser just to upgrade Roxio..
    When I get upgraded I'll stop back and report how things went.

6. domgreen

domgreen Private E-2

Hmm, wonder if that's a common problem. I am using the Roxia Media Creator and don't have any problems with burning DVDs. I also use Windows Media Player 11 for burning now and then and it always worked. Well, looks like an upgrade could really help to make things work.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since the OP hasn't responded since March, in fact hasn't been back to MajorGeeks since March 10th, I doubt he will read your suggestion.

8. TorEx

TorEx Private E-2

I believe the problem lies with Win XP SP3.
    Every system I've upgraded to SP3 had resulted in Optical drive failure.
    Try re-installing Windows, then when the auto-updates come in, select Custom, and then opt out of Sp3, and check the box that says, "do not remind me again".

9. swede109

swede109 Private E-2

Well Hello
    Just picked this email on an account I don't use too much..
    Since I last posted about this I have since re-formatted, still using XP SP3, and am now using Nero. No problems at all with Nero DVD burning.
    Thank you for your comments anyway.:)

10. MrSilverSparkle

MrSilverSparkle Private E-2

Hello, all.

I'm looking for a quick fix for a similar problem, and it involves reviving this thread.

As you may possibly know, a company named Faronics has a program called 'Deep Freeze'.

Now, what this program does, for you who don't know, is that it saves a snapshot of your system, with all its data, and it restores this data when your computer is turned off.

It is mainly used for security systems and systems that, well, would want or need this kind of program. I, however, have no need for this program, and I have no idea whatsoever about how it got on my computer.

Now, usually, there is a way to 'disable' Deep Freeze on next reboot and then uninstall it. But, somehow, the files I got on my computer are fragmented, to some degree.

The program retains its computer-restoring capabilities, but it lacks its ability to be removed.

Now, what I am trying to do is reformat my hard drive so that I can get this stupid program off of my computer; I've called Faronics support, and this is the only way.

Now, I have the same DVD-CD burner/drive/whatever you want to call it, and I have the same issue: It won't read CD's, and I need it to read CD's so that I can insert my Windows XP CD and format it and get my computer back into a working order.

Now, I've gone into my Device Manager, and it has a (!) next to the icon for said CD Drive. I'm not sure what to do from there; there is no optical drive group, and I'm not sure what would be considered close to it.

I await your response(s).

MrSilverSparkle

11. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Right click the drive in Device Manager and select Properties. It should have an error listed. Give the error.

Technically, if the computer will boot from the CD then it will let you format and should install Windows without figuring out what the current problem is. When it boots from the CD it will load its own temporary CD drivers.

Have you tried booting from the Windows disc?

12. MrSilverSparkle

Device Status: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I'll troubleshoot after I post this. And it won't boot from the CD; it appears as though it isn't connected properly or something along that line. I need the CD Drive to work for it to boot through the CD.

Edit: Troubleshoot does literally nothing.

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I won't be able to help you on the code 39 error. CDROMs don't usually need any third party drivers they are part of Windows. Others on the forum may have seen this error and can possibly help.

One question on the Device Manager does it show a model number for the CDROM? I don't need the model but just want to know if it can identify the device. Something like Optiarc1290 or Teac7856?

The thing is that booting from CD is outside of Windows so any driver problem should not carry over to booting from CD. So if you can't boot from CD either the drive is not hooked up correctly or is bad.

When you tried to boot from CD do you get an underscore cursor in the top left corner of the screen for a few seconds before it starts Windows?

When you boot the computer and get a BIOS or manufacturer's splash screen does it give the option for a key to hit to get a Boot Menu where you could manually select to try to boot from CD (often F12 during the splash screen with bring up a boot menu)? That would what I would look for.

14. MrSilverSparkle

In the Device Manager, it has 3 CD Drives in a list, but, referencing to the only CD Drive I have plugged in, it's called the "ATAPI DVD C DH52C2P SCSI CdRom Device" in Device Manager.

I've tried hooking up my CD Drive with a different cable from an old scrap box, but that didn't work either, so it may either be too old to work, or it is the CD Drive. I may have another CD Drive in my scrap box to use. I'll look later.

And I've tried spamming F8 and F12 (on separate occasions) and Nothing came up for me, which is strange...

15. MrSilverSparkle

I really don't wish to bump, but I really have no other option, so..

Bump.

16. KiltedKrew

KiltedKrew Private E-2

Hi guys.
    Don't know if this is the right thread, so apologies if it isn't.
    I bought the Motown No. 1s on a 10 CD disc from Amazon. My sister wants a copy of it, but I don't think I have a CD drive. I have copied many DVDs for her, but, do I need a CD something or other to burn these cds for her?
    I can't see a 'cd' drive, just a DVD drive e...
    Thank you :)

17. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , welcome to MG's :major

You should go to

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

right on the top of the page starting New Tread :wave

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds